Talk

Advanced search

12 hours in please help or advise

(7 Posts)
snowchick1977 Sun 21-Oct-12 02:06:49

Dd born today smile she latched on at 3pm, 6pm and 11pm for about 20 minutes.

Is this enough? Should I be waking her? How long should she feed for? Do I wind her?

Any help or advice greatful as its so busy on the ward sad

Aspiemum2 Sun 21-Oct-12 02:13:43

Congratulations grin I don't have a flowers icon so can't give you that and have only recently realised the icon I though was a flower is actually a biscuit and somehow derogatory so how about a cute teddy bear --hopes that's not MN code for something--confused

I hate maternity wards, was in with twins recently and assumed a mw would look in on me and see how I was coping, HA!

Anyway, IME a little more breast feeding right now would be good. 5 hours is an awful long time for a newborn and not great for your supply. I've always had greedy babies so never woken one but my newborns only ever went 2-3 hours until 3/4 weeks.

runningforme Sun 21-Oct-12 02:15:32

congratulations! I would say to not let more than 3 hours pass between the start of one feed to the next. You can try gently winding after a feed, but I found that my bf babies never really got windy because I guess less air is swallowed when bf'ing.

Aspiemum2 Sun 21-Oct-12 02:27:17

Oops, I missed that bit but I do agree. Mine never needed winding as such but somehow I did it anyway, there seems to be something quite naturally about the action itself.

Ah crap, I'm feeling broody as hell all of a sudden. Must repeat mantra "4 dc's is 4 too many enough, no more kids"!

Hyperballad Sun 21-Oct-12 02:39:22

( I'm writing this with a 15 wk old clamped to my right boob....!)

Congratulations!!!!!! Woohoooo!!! How exciting!!!!!

smile

Like previous poster said wake up after 3 hours for a feed, do this right through while you are in hospital but when back at home only do this during the day, come night time, let little one sleep and just feed when she wakes.

Nipple cream nipple cream nipple cream!!! Get lathering it on now! After every feed.

My baby does need winding which I do after each feed, but I do it if he come off part way through too, as sometimes he needs more but the fact he has wind will stop him drinking. So I always offer the boob once more after winding.

Length of feed is really sparadic as a newborn but I think you'll find she'll build up to longer feeds, some lasting 45 mins! So have MN at the ready or a good book.

Enjoy! Xx

snowchick1977 Sun 21-Oct-12 02:41:38

Wow thankyou so much

Hyperballad Sun 21-Oct-12 02:42:21

(oh MN and the good book is once you've got into the swing of things, before that just enjoy staring at your little miracle grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now