Talk

Advanced search

Finally weaned off bf a week ago... shoudl I be doing anyhting boob-wise?!

(10 Posts)
legallyblond Sat 20-Oct-12 22:31:44

That's it really.... I finally stopped bf DD a week ago tomorrow (she was 2 years and 3 days old - I am a bit confused but it was time) and my boobs are, predictably, rather tender and full... should I pump at all? I obvs don't want to make them think "hey hey, still bf, better make more milk..." (they are rather good at making milk.....).

When I stopped, DD had dropped from bedtime and morning (at end of Sept) to just morning, but that morning one went on for about an hour or more as she came into our bed and it gave us a "lie in" until about 7! So she was getting a fair bit of milk, all of which I asume is now building up in my boobs!

I have this idea that the milk will just get reabsorbed and my boobs will just fix it.... is that right or worng? Any ideas?

Thanks grin

PS - aside from asking for bf when halk asleep, DD doesn't seem to mind at all and says "doesn't matter, [name] has cuggles instead", although she sometimes announces, since I stopped, "no my like mummy anymore".... nice.

legallyblond Sat 20-Oct-12 22:32:17

oh god - sorry - terrible typos in title!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 21-Oct-12 10:22:32

How about just expressing a little for your own comfort? Although you may want to give one of the helplines a call, they can help you avoid mastitis.

legallyblond Tue 23-Oct-12 23:04:40

Thanks. Again, sorry for the typos!

Having now bf forever (it feels) since those first few weeks (2 years has flown!), I have totally forgotten all the basics. What do I do? Hand express and massage lumps out towards nipple?

My breasts are REALLY tender - I stopped bf 10 days ago. What has anyone else done when they finally weaned their toddler?

Any advice v welcome!

fluffygal Tue 23-Oct-12 23:09:23

Wow I would be interested too as really want to stop bfing (Dd is 2 years 2 weeks old). If I don't feed for over 24 hours I get very very full and uncomfortable so I am a amazed you have got to 10 days before feeling full!

AbigailAdams Tue 23-Oct-12 23:12:19

I expressed just a bit off to make it more comfortable about every 12 hrs and within 3 days I was fine. I used a pump.though, sorry! Hand expressing would work fine too if you can remember how to!

legallyblond Tue 23-Oct-12 23:35:53

Thanks - I might dust off the old pump (hardly used as DD was a total bottle refuser).

I have been quite sore for a good week, I just thought it would sort of go.... Crazy!

I would HATE to get mastitis now.... I did everything to (successfully) avoid it at the beginning and I want to bf again if I have another of course, so I would be loathe for the very successful machines to break down now!

Spinaroo Tue 23-Oct-12 23:40:15

I stopped when daughter was 19 months. Didn't need to to anything boob-wise.

FirstUpBestDressed Wed 24-Oct-12 00:00:01

My youngest stopped at 20 months and I was full after a week.I offered him one 'last feedy' which he happily olbliged and that sorted me out!

Runningblue Wed 24-Oct-12 00:13:20

Hand expressing is a bit easier when trying to ease lumps out, and also IME didn't seem to encourage as much milk to be produced as using a pump.
As I wasn't collecting the milk, I found it easier to lie down and gently express into a muslin square or towel. A lovely vision wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now