Talk

Advanced search

I'm this close to giving in. Help!

(15 Posts)
Purplehonesty Sat 20-Oct-12 20:55:05

Dd is 16 weeks and ebf. So far I have had mastitis twice and now thrush and a blocked duct which has left me feeling like I've been run over.
I fed ds til 14 months (mastitis twice also) and want to do the same for dd but it's so hard with another child to care for, I had to get my mum round today to care for ds so I could have a bath and a sleep.
I guess I am just fed up and wondering how long I can do this for. (and feeling v sorry for myself). Boo.

didireallysaythat Sat 20-Oct-12 21:02:18

You poor thing !

Before you beat yourself up, pause and take stock. You have done and are doing an amazing thing, and put the likes of me to shame. And no matter what you decide to do, you will still have these achievements.

discrete Sat 20-Oct-12 21:04:15

Congratulations. Mastitis is horrible, I had it a few times too.

Cabbage leaves in the bra, weird though they are do work wonders for calming the pain from mastitis or blocked ducts. If you haven't used them yet, I highly recommend them.

Purplehonesty Sat 20-Oct-12 21:25:48

Cabbage leaves. Hmm I did think of that but I thought they dried your milk supply up. will give it a go.
I'm 32 years old and I cried for my mammy today to come and help me blush
Don't know how on earth I'd get dd onto bottles, she has only had one and she wasn't overly comfortable with it.
I've no idea how to make up bottles or how much to give and I've got one bottle lol. How clueless am I?!
Will try to man up and get on with it instead. I am just having a feeling sorry for myself day

MigGril Sun 21-Oct-12 10:41:11

have you got a local breastfeeding support group? recurring mastitis maybe due to put latch or other possibilities are. ill fitting cloths/bra anything that presses on the breast tissue while feeding.

just worth thinking about, nothing wrong in calling your mum in either. once upon a time we all lived in extended family groups and we'd all look after each other.

Purplehonesty Sun 21-Oct-12 13:04:42

I don't know if we do. My usual contact for
Bf just had a baby herself last week. So I dont want to call her!
I was a bit surprised at the health visitor reaction when I called, just gave me a prescription for thrush and said bye. I did say I thought maybe her latch wasnt great and thats how I'd got it but she didn't seem
Interested.
Will google local bf support and see if someone can have a look at what she is doing.
My dh has just come home from work early as I had to go back to bed, couldn't stand up hardly. Does anyone know if nurofen is ok? I took some to get my temp down and it has really helped but then I suddenly thought hmm is that ok for bf

Purplehonesty Sun 21-Oct-12 13:05:38

Oh and I have started on the cabbage wink

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 21-Oct-12 13:08:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 21-Oct-12 13:09:18

discrete Sun 21-Oct-12 20:05:26

Cabbage leaves do dry up your milk a bit but when you have mastitis/blocked ducts that is a good thing, reduces the pressure a bit.

Doesn't dry you enough to make it hard for a baby to get she needs!

Hope you are feeling better today. Take care of yourself as well, my sister had thrush with her dc2 and the diagnosed cause (by her lovely, pro-bf doc) was exhaustion! I know, I know, easy to say but when you have two little ones....

Purplehonesty Mon 22-Oct-12 06:38:26

Off to see the doc today as I can't go on any longer like this. Think I will need antibiotics to shift it.
High temp and achey again this morning and a big red lump still there
Humph I am very fed up sad

Asmywhimsytakesme Mon 22-Oct-12 07:28:30

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 22-Oct-12 09:30:58

Poor you. Mastitis is awful. Nurofen is recommended if you can take it. It reduces the swelling & can allow the blockage to move out. It can get trapped by the inflammation otherwise.

Hope the GP is helpful. flucloxacillin is the first line recommended antibiotic for mastitis for 10-14 days. Really hope it get on top of it & start feeling better soon.

Purplehonesty Mon 22-Oct-12 21:08:18

Got fluco today and been taking nurofen and I feel so much better already! Boob still lumpy and red but at least the flu thing has gone away and i don't ache all over.
Yay!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 22-Oct-12 22:04:16

Pleased you're on the mend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now