Talk

Advanced search

Falling asleep during night feeds

(5 Posts)
nezzynic Sat 20-Oct-12 05:53:45

I have recently had the problem where my ds is waking himself up approx 4 hourly for bottle feeds in the night, but when it comes to about half way through his bottle he falls asleep! This has only started happening the past few nights, should I try to wake him to finish his bottle?? Or should I just leave it? Just worried if he's going to be getting enough during a 24 hour period! I am a worrier! :-/
TIA xx

Fairylea Sat 20-Oct-12 06:00:55

How old is he ? Does he drink lots during the day ?

If his weight gain is good and he's active and alert and drinking lots during the day it could be that he's just looking to drink less during the night and may go on to wake less (hopefully!)

nezzynic Sat 20-Oct-12 06:11:09

He's 6 weeks on Monday. He takes about 6ozs every 3.5-4 hours during the day and most of the time cleans the bottle right out. But just now he has only managed 3ozs. Not had him weighed for a couple of weeks next weigh in is on Monday, but I'm sure he's definitely gaining weight nicely. Thanks for the positive thoughts! smile

Fairylea Sat 20-Oct-12 06:15:10

If he's drinking well during the day and draining the bottles I'd increase the bottle size to 7oz ... I always aim to have a little left over in the bottles then I know ds has had enough (my second child, ds is 4 months and formula fed).

Personally I wouldn't worry. At 6 weeks ish that's when they start realising night is night so its good he's sleepy. I'd just feed as much as he wants and put down again.

If he's anything like my ds that's how ds started to drop night feeds by having less and less and this last week he's been sleeping through ! Good luck.

nezzynic Sat 20-Oct-12 07:01:27

Ok great thank you will try that, keep your fingers crossed for us! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now