Talk

Advanced search

Blocked duct: indicative of problems in 5 day old's feeding?

(4 Posts)
AngelDog Fri 19-Oct-12 22:05:47

DS2 is 5 days old. My milk came in on day 2/3. I've not had any engorgement or similar problems (I'm guessing partly because I'm also feeding DS1).

This evening I found a blocked duct on the left breast. It's cleared now thanks to DS1, but I wondered if it suggested any concerns with DS2's feeding (DS1 hadn't fed from that side for 24 or 36 hours - he only has one side at bedtime and doesn't always have both sides in the morning).

DS2 finds it difficult to latch on the left side, and it always takes at least 2 attempts to get a comfortable latch, often more. He doesn't like the rugby hold or feeding lying down yet.

Feeding is much more comfortable on the right breast, though I have a suspicion that I can feel a blockage developing there too.

He's lost 240g since birth (when he weighed 1.58kg), so less than 10%. Midwives aren't concerned.

He is a short feeder - 5-10 mins per side - but I can hear him swallowing well . He doesn't always take both sides though sometimes he'll have several sides before settling to sleep again. He sleeps for 1-2 hours between feeds, on a couple of occasions 3. The last 3 nights he's had a cluster feeding/fussy spell lasting 3 or 4 hours.

I'm slightly paranoid about the possibility of tongue tie as I suspect DS1 has a slight undiagnosed one.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 22:31:32

Congratulations Angel thanks. Really sorry but as you know I'm not trained and I don't feel confident enough to help you.

Hopefully this will bump for you though.

5madthings Fri 19-Oct-12 22:36:43

hmm not sure, do you think your bra could be causing the blockage, or if he is difficult to latch are you holding the breast as he latches/feeds?e ven slight pressure can cause a blocked duct.

i sympathise as i got them loads! no tt tho and i never found a casue, sometimes just a bump from a toddler was enough for me to get one! what worked for me other than a toddler to feed was to comb my breast with a wide toothed comb, from right up under the armpit down over the lump towards the nipple, i could feel it clear as i did this and i ahd a special comb for the frequent blocked ducts i got.

if you can see a lactation counsellor to get ds2's latch checked and check for tt that would be good if only to put your mind at rest or then get it snipped if need be.

AngelDog Sat 20-Oct-12 21:47:08

Thanks both.

It's not my bra - was measured today and am the same size (got new ones though as the old were super saggy!)

I think I do need to get his latch checked - my left breast isn't exactly sore, but is uncomfortable to the point where even DS1 feeding isn't entirely comfy. We have a couple of good groups here so I'll try to get to one of those next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now