Talk

Advanced search

Donating breast milk

(10 Posts)
mummysmellsofsick Fri 19-Oct-12 18:44:02

Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can donate milk that was expressed after my baby was 6 months?

I'm building up quite a freezer stash as I express at work 2 days a week and my 10 mo won't drink much from a bottle while I'm out.

I'd much rather not throw it all away but I've tried cooking his porridge with it and using different bottles, he just isn't interested. My 2 local hospitals said no thanks as milk changes after baby is 6 months and isn't any good for newborns/ preemies.

Any ideas? Do any hospitals need bm for sick older babies? I've asked Guys & St T.

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 19-Oct-12 19:10:28

I've looked into this myself. You have to go through all kinds of tests (for HIV among other things) before they'll take your milk and it has to be pretty fresh - they won't just take stuff you've been keeping in your freezer for a while. It's a pity, isn't it?

mummysmellsofsick Sat 20-Oct-12 13:55:40

Mine's quite fresh but apparently I expressed it when DS was too old sad

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 20-Oct-12 17:19:09

I donate for Kings College & my baby is over 6 months. They have quite a lot of surgical babies there, so might be worth a go. The number is 020 3299 3038 smile

mummysmellsofsick Sat 20-Oct-12 18:33:13

Really sleep? I emailed them but no reply I'll phone on Monday thanks for the no. Did you start donating when your baby was over 6 months?

DairyNips Sat 20-Oct-12 18:34:50

Google human milk for human babies. It's a global milk sharing networksmile You can put an offer on the discussion board for your area and someone might take it.

PeggyCarter Sat 20-Oct-12 18:37:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummysmellsofsick Sat 20-Oct-12 18:56:02

Oh great I didn't know about that. Will have a look when my human baby decides to go to sleep smile

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 20-Oct-12 18:59:20

I be been registered for a while. I asked about the 6 month thing and was told you can donate until 2 years but they like you to start before six months.

They collected from me this week & left more bottles. They do a lot of liver, gastro & chest surgery on bigger babies so must need the milk for them.

Give them a call, they are desperate for new donors. I was going to do a MN appeal But not got round to it smile

mummysmellsofsick Sat 20-Oct-12 19:28:25

I'll definitely call them. I'm happy to have the blood tests etc, just keen for the milk to go to some good use

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now