Talk

Advanced search

tongue tie help

(7 Posts)
blooblies Thu 18-Oct-12 23:36:56

I've been reading up about tongue tie on Milk Matters recently and it has raised more questions for me than answers. DC3 is 12 days old and had an obvious tongue tie which was snipped at 5 days old. His latch improved a lot - he didn't feel like he was clamping down so much - and he seemed to feed for longer. However he has, over the past week, become more and more unsettled to the point where he screams in pain non-stop from later evening until halfway through the night with sore tummies, is gagging with reflux, has gone from sleeping like a lion during the day to waking frequently and needing re-settled, feeds constantly when awake and is never settled nor ever looks pain-free in the the face.

I am now wondering if his tongue release has been good enough. His tongue is still dipped in the middle when he cries, and reaches up to about halfway up his mouth when he is crying. I don't think he is emptying the breast well when feeding beyond the initial let-down and I'm beginning to be concerned for my supply (but this could just be paranoia). He tires easily at the breast and will suck slowly and swallow infrequently after let-down, falling asleep 9 times out of 10.

The GP gave him ranitidine today, based on my description of his gulping and re-swallowing and sour breath so we will see if that helps.

I am also shock at the list of symptoms of tongue tie on MilkMatters, because they describe DC1 perfectly. However I am pretty certain she doesn't have it, and her problems lay with CMPI which gave her oesophagitis from silent reflux. So trying to suss out DC3 is coloured by the likelihood that CMPI and other intolerances (wheat for DC1, others in addition to those for DC2) are almost certainly a factor.

Where do I go from here?

MigGril Fri 19-Oct-12 06:33:55

well who cut the tie, you could start with asking them to reassess it as some times they reattach so that's worth investigating. reflux is a sign of tongue tie and as he defiantly has one that's probably the first avenue is explore. if that doesn't help then think a about intolerances as there is a family history.

are you sure your fiat doesn't have one they are often haredatory and can be hard to spot. although that doesn't mean she has. I have one who does and one who doesn't.

blooblies Sat 20-Oct-12 17:25:07

I got an appointment through from the hospital unexpectedly for Monday - I assume it's a follow-up so that is ideal timing. We didn't get to sleep until 5.30 this morning and he'll only nap longer than 10 mins if strapped to me today sad. He's looking all worried and utterly knackered.

whenwill Sat 20-Oct-12 17:32:33

sometimes can be posterior as well as obvious anterior tt. this is really hard to spot so really vital you get someone who knows abotu post. tt and what to look for. Our paed. missed dds when looking for tt. burp really well, hold up for 30 mins after feeds and raised head end of cot and find v.upright bouncer or beanbag but please supervise closely due to overheating and wriggling off potential. not sure what else to suggest. no experiences of intolerances except they are rarer than tt.

blooblies Mon 22-Oct-12 12:31:42

just seen consultant and his tongue apparently has good mobility and is snipped to within 1mm of a blood vessel so his problems are more likely due to latch or intolerances. I'm glad I had the chance to get it checked because the symptoms of both overlap so much.

mawbroon Mon 22-Oct-12 13:59:38

I would suggest that you join the tongue tie babies support group on facebook. It's a closed group but just ask to join and the admins will approve you. There are loads of kids with tt who also suffer from allergy/intolerance (ds1 for one).

You can also post pics and the experts on there can give their opinions, obviously this doesn't replace RL help, but it can point you in the right direction.

There is every chance that your dc1 is also tied. Reflux is also linked to tt and lip ties.

I would urge you to investigate on behalf of all your dcs. DS1 is 7 and has suffered all sorts because of undiagnosed tongue tie. Reading the FB group made everything click into place for me and we are now getting the help that he needs.

blooblies Tue 23-Oct-12 11:02:55

thanks mawbroon, I'll do that. He is on ranitidine now which has helped to settle him, but us still FULL of wind, painful belly gurgles and mucousy nappies. The wind could be latch or intolerance I suppose. Poor mite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now