Talk

Advanced search

Quick help please!!

(15 Posts)
Signet2012 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:49:20

Lo is 6 weeks old tomorrow being EBF since birth. Fed well up to now. Today she has been acting like she is still hungry after feeding offered second boob. Baby still rooting and distressed, head bobbing on breast and trying to relatch every few seconds. My breasts have not felt swollen at all today and I'm worried now my milk has stopped. I managed to hand express a few drops sp there is some in there but I don't think lo is getting it. I've even tried to give her some expressed milk from yesterday but it was our first go and she can't take it from the bottle. It's like she can't work it out.

Can anyone help me? What's happening? What do I do?

droitwitchymummy Thu 18-Oct-12 22:09:23

Bumping for you

Clumsasaurus Thu 18-Oct-12 22:12:15

Sounds like the 6 week growth spurt to me. Go with it keep offering and letting her feed she's just super hungry. Your milk is there xx

Runningblue Thu 18-Oct-12 22:15:19

Agree with clumsasaurus - your body is playing catch up with the milk supply, baby is giving all the cues to your body she is needing a bit more supply thank you very much.
Be patient, and in a day or so, your supply with marry up with what the baby is after.

Brightonite Thu 18-Oct-12 22:17:10

Make sure you are resting plenty and eating well too. x

Jojay Thu 18-Oct-12 22:17:26

Agree that it sounds like a growth spurt, if she's been feeding well up until now.

If she's taken both sides, put her back on the first side again until she comes off naturally, and keep going - it's called switch feeding and will help increase your supply. Offer 3 sides, 4 ,5, however many it takes.

Is her weight gain good? Plenty of wet and dirty nappies? If so, just let her feed feed feed and your supply will catch up very soon.

Keep the faith, it's very normal smile

stinkymice Thu 18-Oct-12 22:20:15

If boob is super full and hard it can be hard for little one to latch on. Try having a bath and express a little until not so 'solid' then feed. Expressing is tricky at first, relaxing in warm water will help. Good luck!

stinkymice Thu 18-Oct-12 22:24:26

Agh, just re-read you said not swollen doh! sorry

Wigeon Thu 18-Oct-12 22:25:14

6 week growth spurt is an absolute classic (google it). Totally agree with all the advice. And the more you feed, the more milk you make. So you make more milk when your baby needs more milk. What an amazing system.

Your breasts are highly unlikely to just suddenly have stopped making milk. And did you know that the fullness or otherwise of your breasts is not an indication of how much milk there is - remember your body just keeps making it, it's not that your breasts have a fixed amount in them and once it's gone, it's gone.

Also, expressing is no indication of supply. Plenty of women find it really hard to express but EBF a baby for months and months with no problem.

I'd say this is a very good excuse for a chocolate bar and a feedathon in front of your favourite crap telly smile.

Clumsasaurus Thu 18-Oct-12 22:31:01

Totally agree with the chocolate and crap telly! Get a bell too, so whenever you need and thing you can ding for service ;-) Keep your fluids up too!

Clumsasaurus Thu 18-Oct-12 22:31:26

And thing = anything!

Signet2012 Thu 18-Oct-12 22:32:14

Thank you all so much. I've calmed down now blush

It was freaking me out her screaming and me not been able to fix it. Especially when she wouldn't take from a bottle. She seems satisfied now smile

Im loaded with cold which isn't helping. Chocolate bar And tv it is whilst googling 6 weeks growth spurt grin

Wigeon Thu 18-Oct-12 22:52:28

Good good! And if she seems to want another feed in 40 mins, or an hour, just go with it.

6 weeks is still quite little for a BF baby to take a bottle, so really don't worry about that either.

Sounds like you are doing really well.

A bell grin!

Signet2012 Thu 18-Oct-12 23:12:53

Aw thanks. It does nt feel like it sometimes. I was so worried she was not getting anything from me which is stupid because she having wet and dirty nappies.

All the books in the world don't prepare you for the reality!

Halfcups Thu 18-Oct-12 23:24:27

Sounds like you re doing a great job. Just remember to eat drink and rest. I am bfing my two year old ( my other dc were breastfed til 12 months and 17mths respectively) and I could not express in anyway shape or form!
Take care of yourself and give that baby a nuzzle from me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now