Talk

Advanced search

Newborn unsettled after each feed.

(20 Posts)
WantAnOrange Thu 18-Oct-12 19:57:47

DD is 17 days old and BF has been going really well for about a week now. She was settling in to feeding roughly every 3 hours (I feed on demand but thats the pattern she was following).

Since last night she has been really fussy and upset, especially after a feed. She roots for more food but when I latch her on she pulls on and off and gets even more upset.

I know it's normal for babies to have an unsettled period during the day but this has lasted 24 hours!

applecrumple Thu 18-Oct-12 20:06:52

Exactly the same thing has happened to me & I've been told that DD is just a fussy feeder - it took 2 hours once to get her latched on properly! Is yours prem? That can sometimes make a difference as it can be difficult for them to open their mouths wide enough to latch on properly. Try & get a BF counsellor to come out & check your latch on if you can & good luck!

GrassIsntGreener Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:04

Is she sick at all? My new boy is similar age and also bf. Very similar to your situation but I've been told he probably has reflux.

WantAnOrange Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:05

No not prem and has fed brilliantly for a week now. We had some problems with latch but got it all sorted. I dont know whats caused the sudden change.

YeahThatsTheBadger Thu 18-Oct-12 20:23:04

All my 3 DC have been like this at one point or another. For them it was more mostly wind. I would wind th for a few minutes then lie them down for 5 minutes and try again. Other times it was tiredness. And it came on suddenly too, after having no problems previously.
It might not be wind for your DD but I hope it's something easily sorted so you can go back to enjoying her!

WantAnOrange Fri 19-Oct-12 18:10:06

She's slightly better today but still not her usual self. sad

SamSmalaidh Fri 19-Oct-12 18:12:30

Do you offer her the other side when she comes off?

WantAnOrange Sat 20-Oct-12 08:47:08

Yes, its after the second breast she gets fussy. Is it possible to over feed a BF baby? I assume she wouldnt take it if she's full up.

That said, we had a really good night last night.

MigGril Sat 20-Oct-12 14:46:11

sounds like maybe a growth spurt, just offer the first breast again after the seconded. they have days when they are more fussy and wasn't to feed more or less. she to young for any set pattern to form yet so if in doate just feed feed and feed some more.

MigGril Sat 20-Oct-12 14:46:40

and no you can't over feed a breastfed baby.

WantAnOrange Sun 21-Oct-12 07:32:56

Didnt think so. She has settled down again now.

crazypaving Sun 21-Oct-12 20:06:51

orange you give me hope......DS2 has screamed all day and been really fussy when trying to feed. he's 17 days today so maybe on same schedule as your DD?!

...although he has also sounded like he's bringing stuff back up and swallowing it, pausing breathing, followed by coughing and freaked out crying - could that be not-so-silent reflux? I have a super-fast letdown reflex. his breath smells of sick all the time sad

AngelDog Sun 21-Oct-12 20:51:37

Sounds like a growth spurt or developmental leap. Duration can be variable e.g. DS's 6 week one lasted a week and a half but many are much shorter.

WantAnOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 13:15:39

crazy I hope it passess just as quickly, although 24 hours can feel like a long time when they are screaming. My let down reflex is very fast too and I have a lot of milk. DD coughs and splutters and pulls away each time , then gets squirted in the face, poor thing.

DD cries whenever she coughs/ passes wind/ does a poo/ hiccoughs/ sneezes etc. I think she's feeling a little overwhelmed by all these new sensations.

crazypaving Mon 22-Oct-12 20:11:18

thanks orange, DS is seriously struggling with my supply. Just started squirting today....was hoping to avoid that this time, it just ain't cool!! Desperately need to get to feeding clinic cos he clicks like mad when feeding and I can hear him gulp down air with every single mouthful. Seriously Not Good. Does incredibly high-pressure loud burps grin but the screaming continues and poor DS1 finds it a bit upsetting I think, along with the fact that he has to be held at all times. Argh.

WantAnOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 20:14:12

Argh, how stressful! Have you tried expressing a bit before a feed? Sometimes I'm so full DD cant latch on because the nipple is stretched flat.

MrsPeggyPatch Mon 22-Oct-12 22:33:38

I'm more a lurker than poster but had to post on this-my 17 day old has been so grumpy and fussy all day. Constantly feeding and barely sleeping today.

He also coughs and splutters gets squirted, so I think at times I have fast let down. He often pulls back a bit to get a shallower latch.

Wind has hit us the last 2 days so will be off to bf group this week to check latch...

WantAnOrange Tue 23-Oct-12 11:34:16

Interesting that it happened the same day, maybe it's normal then?

crazypaving Tue 23-Oct-12 12:41:35

Day 19....the screaming continueth....

WantAnOrange Wed 24-Oct-12 09:44:58

Oh no!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now