Talk

Advanced search

I thought it was all over but...

(4 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Thu 18-Oct-12 19:03:46

DS is 16months, reduced day time feeds at 12 months when I went back to work, night weaned at 13 months because I couldnt handle the lack of sleep. A couple of weeks ago I had to go away with work and gradually dropped feeds down. It had got to the point where when I offered he laughed and patted me but didnt latch on. Anyway, no feeds in past two weeks, until today when pre nap he tapped my chest. I offered, he latched, sucked for a few mins and then fell asleep. What to do? I dont think I have any milk, ive had no engorgement. Also it was lovely and I cried because I didnt realise how much I missed the snugglyness of it smile but it also hurt a little bit (reattached tt). Dh thinks im mad to even consider starting again, is it even possible at this stage? Also last winter, fully bf baby =no colds. So far this winter, 3 colds and his first ever antibiotics for a chest infection. Wondering if even giving one feed a day would help his immune system?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-12 19:35:38

Of course one feed a day will benefit him and you are not mad to reconsider bfing, if you want to that is.

If you are considering it I'd ring one of the helplines to see if they have any tips.

nearlyreadytopop Thu 18-Oct-12 19:55:33

Thanks JJJ, I will do that. Looking back I think his refusal to feed was a nursing strike that I didnt handle very well smile

MigGril Fri 19-Oct-12 12:55:05

nearly - you probably do still have milk as it takes a long time to dry up once they have reach this age. Natural weaning happens just like this they don't normally suddenly stop. this I'd normally refereed to as a nursing strick. get some help with latch and just see how it goes. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now