Talk

Advanced search

How common is centile drop

(12 Posts)
advance01 Thu 18-Oct-12 03:43:05

Seen a few threads on here recently about breastfed babies dropping down centiles. My last baby did the same. 90th to 9th in the end. The advice received from HV was to snack more. Just looking for advice as dd already had problems losing a high percentage olf body weight at 5 days. Something like 18%. So already have hospital admission.
Was 75%. now tracking at 50%

armedtotheteeth Thu 18-Oct-12 04:22:15

Dc3 was born on 50th and is now on the 25th at 5 months. However she's a very plump baby so it's clearly not a case of not feeding well.

How old is your dd and does she now seem stable at the 50th?

armedtotheteeth Thu 18-Oct-12 04:23:24

Ps. Falling one centile band is no cause for concern and very normal.

bluefroggy Thu 18-Oct-12 05:05:31

Mine started above 75th and went down to 25th by 4 months. back up to 50% at 6 months and pretty constant from there, though lost a lot during a bug (paediatrician deliberately didn't weigh him at that point). I wouldn't worry.

MigGril Thu 18-Oct-12 06:44:16

how old is your baby now?

thru are average lines for a reason I imagine most babies don't stay on one line. hpc are normally only convened with a drop of more then 2 centile. even this doesn't mean there is actually any thing wrong just that baby should be checked out.

DD started on the 85th by one year she was on the 50th and at 5 years old is still there.

forgottenpassword Thu 18-Oct-12 06:54:54

I have had 2 centile droppers out of 3 Dc so have looked into this a lot. One centile drop is nothing to worry about. 2 is very likely not either but best to get it checked out by paediatrician. One of mine was anaemic and the other needed to have better feeding patterns established - I saw a very good paediatric nutritionist to deal with the second problem.

MimsyBorogroves Thu 18-Oct-12 06:55:09

Very common. Mine was born at the 91st, dropped briefly to the 25th and has now pretty much stayed at the 50th.

After having a HV tell me I'd need to supplement, I found someone more kind who explained that a lot of bigger born babies fall because they have to find their own natural centile. Of course, others sometimes do fail to thrive, but she said that's less common.

I exclusively breastfed for nearly 6 months before solids. DS2 is now a big, healthy boy.

showtunesgirl Thu 18-Oct-12 10:07:48

I was told by HV that it's unusual for a baby to very closely one line like my DD is. She is tracking 50th almost textbook style.

StuntNun Thu 18-Oct-12 10:34:01

My DS1 (now 9) was born on the 50th and dropped over the first few months to the 2nd where he has been ever since. The explanation I was given (don't know whether it's scientific or not) was that in the womb his growth was dependent on my nutrition whereas once he was born he moved to his own natural state. He was assessed by a dietician and monitored for a while but they had no concerns. He is extremely healthy and hasn't had a day off school in years.

My DS2 (now 6) was born on the 2nd and stayed on the 2nd until he was about 5. Recently his weight dropped off the bottom of the chart and he was referred to a dietician. He now takes two 300 calorie supplement drinks a day and his weight has returned to the 2nd percentile. He will continue to be monitored until he can come off the supplements.

I was obviously worried about both boys with them being small and skinny but my DH's aunt (who is a GP) had good advice that you need to look at how healthy the child is. If the child is still putting on weight and has lots of energy and is developing normally there's no need for concern, you just need to monitor their height and weight gain. If they start to lose weight (without illness) then the alarm bells start ringing.

mawbroon Thu 18-Oct-12 13:42:53

What else is going on with the feeding?

moonbells Thu 18-Oct-12 14:06:56

Mine was born on the 50th and dropped to the 9th inside a few weeks. He's still between 9th and 25th at 5. He is between 75th and 91st for height and eats like a horse!

advance01 Thu 18-Oct-12 19:33:59

Thank you for your replies. She is only 1 month old and I am happy with drop in centile. I would be amazed if she didn't given how much she lost. Feeding seems to be going ok now. Being fed on demand.
My concern is really whether the same thing will happen again long term as it did with my last child. It was just a gradual reduction.
I do, however, think their is something in babies finding their natural weight. I am a larger lady so my last two babies were above average weight wise. Yet, this is probably more down to my nutrition. Lets just hope hv etc realise this if weight does drop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now