Talk

Advanced search

14 week old breast fed baby dropping percentiles....

(15 Posts)
Ali4001 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:18:44

Hi everyone,

I would really like some advice if possible!! My 14 week old was born at 42 weeks, weighing 9 1bs (90th percentile). Since then she has been exclusively breast fed and has always been a happy and active baby. However since then her weight, although increasing, is concerning as she has dropped to the 25th percentile. My partner is urging me to use formula but I am desperate to keep exclusively breast feeding having worked so hard so far!! She is a long baby (my partner is 6ft 4") and I think maybe she will just be like that when she is older (lucky thing!). I am feeding her 8-9 times a day and have just started expressing three times a day and then feeding her an extra 125mls in the evening. She has lots of wet nappies and seems so healthy! Please can anyone advise me on what else to do or try to get her to gain weight before I'm forced to add in formula.... Thank you so much x

MarsLady Wed 17-Oct-12 22:23:23

I know she's dropping the percentiles... but is she still gaining weight? Looking quickly back I see that it is. Sorry... that'll teach me to start posting before completely digesting what I've read.

Have you spoken to a Lactation Consultant?

Why would you need to give formula if you are expressing so well? That isn't said as an accusation, just a question. You see, people assume that topping up and/or giving extra means giving formula. You do sound like you are feeding your baby well and I'm not sure that there is a cause for concern. Have the midwives/health visitors said that it is?

crazygracieuk Wed 17-Oct-12 22:24:19

Are you using charts for breast fed babies? The one in the red book is for formula fed babies so not appropriate for your baby.

Are you and your h tall and light? If so your dd will be genetically disposed to be the same.

chocoluvva Wed 17-Oct-12 22:29:09

It sounds like you're doing all the right things and your baby is doing well. Your babies birth weight is not necessarily an indicator of how their weight will compare with other babies and toddlers as time goes on. You obviously provided an excellent pre-natal environment for your baby, enabling her to achieve her optimum weight at birth. Now she's beginning to settle into her natural 'build' for want of a better word.
Also, if your baby hadn't gone past term may well have weighed a whole pound less.
You're doing really well - follow your instincts smile

MarsLady Wed 17-Oct-12 22:30:49

what chocoluva said!

Asmywhimsytakesme Wed 17-Oct-12 22:39:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Asmywhimsytakesme Wed 17-Oct-12 22:40:58

SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 22:42:19

It might be easier just to feed more often/offer more sides during each feed rather than expressing and bottlefeeding. Do you know what her height centile is?

I wouldn't focus on faster weight gain just for the sake of it to be honest.

chocoluvva Wed 17-Oct-12 23:43:46

My DS was exactly 8lbs when he was born at 40wks +5.
His weight gradually slipped down the charts too - exclusively BF till 4months (different guidelines 13 years ago). After he began having solid food as well as breast milk he slipped further down the charts.
He's now quite tall for his age, eats like a horse and is super skinny. (But fit and happy).
The only thing I can think off is to ensure that your baby is feeding for long enough at enough feeds to get your hind milk - but she sounds just tip-top to me.

Ali4001 Wed 17-Oct-12 23:53:06

Thank you so much everyone for the reassuance. I'm at first timer so still finding my feet and worry too much I'm sure! I will try all the suggestions and see how we get on smile x

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 18-Oct-12 02:18:19

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 18-Oct-12 02:30:23

Want2bSupermum Thu 18-Oct-12 02:31:53

As others have said, as long as she is gaining weight and growing you are alright.

DD was ff and was in the 99% height for the age bracket 3 months ahead of her and in the 50% percentile for her age from 8 weeks onwards. The paediatrican wasn't worried as she was 'following the curve'. She is currently in 2T clothes at 15 months and she has to have drawstring trousers to keep them up!

ElphabaTheGreen Thu 18-Oct-12 08:43:28

1) She'll be getting more calories by topping up with EBM the way you've been doing, than if you used formula

2) I think you identified it yourself by telling us your DP is 6ft 4in. My DH is 6ft 2in and skinny. Not-quite 5mo DS has dropped well down the centiles for weight, as yours has, but is outgrowing 6-9mo clothes (although could use braces or a belt...)

3) Loads of wet nappies, happy and healthy = well-fed baby. I think people worry WAY to much about weight. My HV doesn't bother with weighing/measuring if the above three signs are in place, and very sensible too! The only reason I know DS's weight is because I asked her to weigh him at his 4 month check for my own curiosity. Since he was rolling around vigorously, chattering at her and throwing toys at her from his baby gym, the fall in centiles was completely insignificant.

My DH thinks the formula fairy is going to cure DS's inability to sleep through the night. I don't think they realise that breast milk (and no growth charts or weighing scales) has been keeping the human race ticking over quite well for 30,000 years or so now!! smile

tiktok Thu 18-Oct-12 08:52:27

crazygrace - charts have been bf charts in red book for a few years now. They never were ff charts, anyway - it was just the data came from all babies without the feeding being differentiated. It would be irrelevant at 14 weeks any - the charts were very similar until about 5 mths on.

OP - reiterating the info here: your baby is probably fine but if she does need more milk, then putting her on formula is pointless....just give her more breastmilk which you have in your breasts at all times smile If you want to express and give by bottle then fine, but what a hassle....just feed her more often, offering at least both breasts each time (most important for people wanting to get more breastmilk into the baby) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now