Talk

Advanced search

Hand expression, possible for anyone with enough practise?

(11 Posts)
smk84 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:50:17

I am trying to boost supply for my 19wo, but he will only sleep on me during the day, so I struggle to pump. I have just tried hand expressing from the side he fed on but nothing came out. From the other side I manages a drip. I kn
Ow I can pump small amounts after a feed, but just wondering if I will be able to do it if I keep trying? Thank you.

MigGril Wed 17-Oct-12 13:00:36

a lot of mums find it more efficient then a pump but not all. maybe you need to work on your technic, have you had a look for any YouTube videos to give you a good idea on how to do it.

SarryB Wed 17-Oct-12 16:39:50

I suggest looking at youtube videos. I hand-pump now when needed (managed to express 4oz while in the car the other day!). It's much easier, much less hassle as you can just express straight into a bottle and don't have to clean any bits.

Just keep practising. You may find the best time to get milk is after the first morning feed.

smk84 Wed 17-Oct-12 17:04:56

Thank you, I have tried the u tube videos. Will keep trying but think my supply is a quite dodgy at th moment.

SarryB Wed 17-Oct-12 19:30:17

Also, remember, some women find it hard to express no matter what they try. Keep feeding and expressing after a feed when possible. Keep going for another couple of minutes after the last drops too.

NoodieRoodie Wed 17-Oct-12 19:35:26

I agree with MigGril and SarryB that it can be more efficient and easier but like lots of things it can take a bit of practise.

You don't say how much small amounts are but you should remember that for most women it's really normal to start off with really small amounts but the more you do it you can, perfect your technique, up your supply and from tiny drops you can progress to the odd squirt, then getting a steady stream maybe.

I'd never really needed to express but when I did I went hard at it for a week and went from getting maybe half an ounce in half an hour to nearly 4 ounces in 20 minutes.

smk84 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:18:52

Thank you sarry and noodle. Today single pumping after a feed I probably got about 10ml from 5 mins each side. 4 oz in 20 min fantastic I hope I manage ht in he end!,

NoodieRoodie Wed 17-Oct-12 22:28:36

Just remember that 10ml is far better than nothing!

SarryB Fri 19-Oct-12 10:32:11

You're doing really well smk. I usually get around 3oz in 20 minutes now.

The great thing about expressing in the car meant that we didn't have to stop for me to feed LO. I just expressed straight into a bottle and fed it to him while he was still in his carseat.

smk84 Fri 19-Oct-12 16:12:47

Thanks sarry smile that's a great plan!

needsadviceplease Fri 19-Oct-12 21:09:43

I do the other side while ds is BFing - he gets the letdown going that way. I get about an oz a time but tbh I stop when he finishes feeding (not a patient baby!) and I only express one feed a week, so you'll prob get quicker than me with v little practice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now