Talk

Advanced search

First time mum EBF 4 week old

(4 Posts)
Beans1977 Wed 17-Oct-12 07:10:15

Hello, just a quickie for some advice from you more experienced ladies. I am a first time mum slowly getting to grips with breastfeeding my lovely daughter Lucy. Got off to a bad start as I had bad latches uncorrected by midwives and had two split nipples - ouch! Luckily after two weeks of grinning and bearing it I saw a brill breastfeeding counsellor who sorted me out. Feeding is a little painful when Lucy latches on sue to existing damage, but becomes bearable almost immediately and no new damage is being done. She has lots of wet and mustard nappies, and she put on a pound last week. My question is, since the latch was corrected her feeding times have reduced. She used to spend 40-60 mins on the boob but now it is more like 15-20. I can see and hear she is getting lots of milk now, but I guess I am a little concerned feeding time is so much shorter... Is this normal at 4 weeks with a good latch? Is she getting more efficient? I think my let down is pretty quick. She feeds 6 or 7 times in the day and twice overnight. Thanks for any reassurance... Think my confidence took a knock from the bad latches/pain at the start.

mrsfuzzy Wed 17-Oct-12 08:08:15

if she is thriving, content and most importantly gaining weight, it sounds fine and you are doing a good job with her.

I think it's very likely to be that her feeding is much more efficient now she's well latched on. You sound like you're doing a great job. Well done

ZuleikaD Wed 17-Oct-12 10:56:25

It sounds like she's feeding very effectively, and this is a much more normal span to feed for. By the way, we generally don't use real names for our DCs on MN. There's a page of acronyms if that might be helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now