Talk

Advanced search

Scarring on nipples- terrified to attempt breastfeeding 2 nd time round

(6 Posts)
bexsud Wed 17-Oct-12 00:10:17

I had a really tough time with breastfeeding my daughter, who had a tongue tie. 2 years on I have been left with a 'hard' crusty layer on each nipple which is painful if I try to remove it & I assume is some sort of scar tissue. . Now pregnant again & terrified at the thought of attempting breastfeeding again or if I even can breastfeed with these horrible things!! Has anyone experienced this ??

mrsfuzzy Wed 17-Oct-12 08:05:22

not experienced it but it sounds nasty for you, everyone will hate me for saying this- BUT- if you can't feed/ express milk because of this, and need to use formula don't beat youself up about it, i had lots of trouble breast feeding with my eldest, i got stressed he was stressed and i thought oh sod it, went to baby milk and then used it for the other five kids, all thrived and were contented, happy babies= happy mum=happy babies a win win situation. breast is best but if you can't/don't want to do it stand up for yourself and don't feel pressured by some of those smug types who find it so easy. it's your body and your decision.

hermioneweasley Wed 17-Oct-12 08:09:34

Mrs fuzzy, I completely agree. If you are dreading the thought then plan to bottle feed. It's formula, not rat poison. As a child of the 70s I know several people who were fed condensed milk instead of formula and they're fine.

bexsud Thu 18-Oct-12 16:35:07

Thanks for the words of encouragement. 1st time round I didn't think I was that bothered if I breastfed or not, but its amazing what those hormones can do to any rational thinking! My husband had to step in after 8 weeks of hell & say enough is enough! Just worried that is going to happen again. It's also had an impact on sexual relations shall we say!! As it looks & feels horrible. Thought maybe the La Leche league may be able to offer some advice??

helpyourself Thu 18-Oct-12 16:48:41

Put the breastfeeding to one side and get your nipples seen! It sounds like some sort of thrush or perhaps fungus. Poor you, sounds really difficult. I'd go straight to GP rather than La Leche.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 18-Oct-12 18:17:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now