Talk

Advanced search

Help with peer support coursework please...!

(10 Posts)

Hi, hope it's ok to post this here.
Am trying to get my coursework finished and don't know if I'm over thinking this, but am a bit stuck and hope someone can help.

Question is: describe 2 examples of situations which fall outside the boundaries of the peer supporter role.

Well I've given possible mastitis as one because it's a medical issue, but everything else I can think of is also outside the role of a peer supporter because it's medical. Do I need to pick something which is outside the role for a different reason our am I just really over thinking this?

EauRouge Tue 16-Oct-12 13:59:55

Is there a description of the role written down anywhere? If you post that then it might help, I'm never really sure what peer supporters do and do not do.

SirBoobAlot Tue 16-Oct-12 15:09:51

You will encounter mastitis as a peer supporter, and you simply advise them to feed in a way to reduce the milk blockage in that area, and to visit a doctor if they have any flu like symptoms.

You can't diagnose tongue tie, but again, you will see it, so you recommend they speak to GP / HV / MW.

You're not allowed to state which medications are safe in breastfeeding, because that's a medical role, and point them towards on the drugs lines.

Ok, so stick with medical issues then.

RightUpMyRue Thu 18-Oct-12 18:29:50

Relationships and social situations are something you can't comment on beyond being a listening ear and saying things like "oh dear, that must be difficult" etc but you will hear things about unsupportive husbands, interfering MILs and probably well meaning but ultimately unhelpful friends advising "just one bottle, to help them sleep".

Unfortunately telling the mums to tell their husband/MIL/friends to piss off is outside of your boundaries as a peer supporter smile

Shame ;)

SirBoobAlot Thu 18-Oct-12 19:46:51

You can tell them the disadvantages of the whole "just one bottle" thing though, then enjoy it the following week when they come back and tell you they told the unhelpful individual to sod off grin That's always very satisfying.

I look forward to that

SirBoobAlot Thu 18-Oct-12 20:36:33

Its quite rewarding wink

NoodieRoodie Thu 18-Oct-12 21:50:18

Don't the Boundaries and Confidentiality topics cross over quite a bit?

IIRC I think I put stuff about medication and domestic violence/ risk of violence in the home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now