Talk

Advanced search

Please help.Stabby pains behind nipple when not feeding and previously calm baby won't be put down without screaming. Is this thrush?

(4 Posts)
DesperatelySeekingDistraction Tue 16-Oct-12 09:27:16

Hi. I'm ebf nearly four week old dd and have developed stabbing pains behind right nipple when not feeding. During a feed from right side nipple has started to hurt too.

I bf eldest dd until she was 19 months so have some experience of blocked ducts so I don't think it is that. Latch seems fine, no different to how she's latched since birth so I don't think it is that either. Could it be thrush?

Possibly connected is change in dd from very calm and contented, happy to be put down when awake into upset velcro baby since yesterday who cries when put down and sometimes even when held. Also dd has not had a poo since mid morning yesterday although has been weeing and feeding.

Any help or advice very gratefully received.

DesperatelySeekingDistraction Tue 16-Oct-12 09:28:53

Forgot to mention dd also has white coating on most of tongue which has only developed since yesterday.

MigGril Tue 16-Oct-12 09:52:19

unless you've had antibiotics thrush is unlikely in such a young baby. if it is thrush the pain will spread quickly to the other side. if it stays in just one side then it's something else.

Either a visit to the gp or a phone call to one of the breastfeeding helplines would be a good idea. you could have a read of the BfN thrush leaflet to see if the systems match.

MigGril Tue 16-Oct-12 09:54:13

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/leaflets-and-publications.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now