Talk

Advanced search

Infant Gaviscon queries...

(8 Posts)
helsybells Tue 16-Oct-12 09:03:10

My 3 week old has been put on IG because of reflux and I'm a bit confused about how best to administer it as LO is fed Aptamil pre-prepared formula plus breast milk that I express.

She is demand fed so eats more than 6 times a day (6 doses per day being the limit for IG) so will she not suffer in the non IG feeds?? I am using Dr Browns bottles but IG seems to block the teat. Also the dosage goes in to 120ml formula so as she only takes max about 80ml in a feed at mo I am throwing nearly half of it away each time. The directions say add to formula and shake - but surely that causes lots of bubbles exacerbating reflux and wind and besides it doesn't seem to flow through the teats of Dr Brown and I expect the level 2 teats (3 months plus) would be too fast??? How would I best add it to expressed milk in a bottle? The BF way (separate IG) or add it as to formula??

Is it sensible to try and do half measures of IG to make up to 12 feed per day which would probably cover it nicely? Or perhaps should I mix it up as per BF instructions and feed is separately? Only problem with that is she usually falls asleep at the end of her feed and I doubt she will take it if she is full from her feed and/or asleep!!!? Can I give it just before the end (around 60/70ml mark!?) then carry on feeding her milk until she finishes or will that defeat the object of the exercise!???

Also I have heard it can constipate them. She usually only poos once per day but she didn't go at all yesterday - first day on IG and had 4 sachets (less what was thrown away) from when I bought home the IG to end of day.

So many questions and all advice much appreciated!

MLWfirsttimemum Tue 16-Oct-12 13:19:48

Hi Helsybells

I gave my son his anti-reflux meds before the relevant feeds, using a syringe. That way I knew he was getting it and getting it before the milk hit his stomach. Obviously, I was given the meds (were on a couple of different ones) in liquid form.

Btw - might seem obvious but took me a little while to work out - I cleaned the syringe by plunging it in a cup of boiling water, and then draw the boiling water through the syringe and squirting it out (in the sink) two or three times.

janmk Tue 16-Oct-12 15:39:31

You usually need to go up a teat size with gaviscon . We used dr browns size 2. Not sure re spreading it across more feeds as my lo only has 5 or 6 . Are there times when reflux isn't as bad and u don't need it.- my lo was ok at night for example ... ?

silverangel Tue 16-Oct-12 21:04:58

Hi, we used Philip Avent variflow teats, the hole is bigger so it could come out easier - do Dr Browns do that or a thicker liquid teat?

Totally agree re shaking it - we learnt pretty quickly to swirl the bottle once your pour in the gaviscon - you have to be quite vigorous or it coagulates but def reduced the air that got mixed into the bottle.

silverangel Tue 16-Oct-12 21:05:01

Hi, we used Philip Avent variflow teats, the hole is bigger so it could come out easier - do Dr Browns do that or a thicker liquid teat?

Totally agree re shaking it - we learnt pretty quickly to swirl the bottle once your pour in the gaviscon - you have to be quite vigorous or it coagulates but def reduced the air that got mixed into the bottle.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 16-Oct-12 21:06:53

I used the variflow Avent teats too. The issue we had was that it made DD drink less overall per feed , so she sometimes wanted more per day . Good luck!

popsypie Tue 16-Oct-12 21:09:35

I found syringe in mouth really tricky pre breast feed. So reflux was the final nail in the coffin for breast feeding dd2 for me (she was not diagnosed for a while so had a good run). We just added to feeds and swirled. Found no problem with blocked teats and we used nuby teats for her. But soon after went to free flow cup,

SarryB Tue 16-Oct-12 21:12:21

I used Tommee Tippee size 1 teats, and found them to be no problem at all. I just added one sachet to every 5oz feed 5/6 times a day.

However, I did find that it made LO extremely constipated so I actually only used it once a day after the first week of screaming in pain every time he pooed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now