Talk

Advanced search

Supplements while breastfeeding - very run down...

(5 Posts)
issynoko Mon 15-Oct-12 11:28:38

I am still BF my 11 month old son and he is still demand fed - probably about 5 or 6 times a day, plus long bedtime feed. He sleeps in with us and feeds a lot during the night too. We have 3 older children (8,7 and 4) and I am feeling very run down and knackered now. Now have a crap cold, very achey, just totally BLEAHH. Don't want to stop feeding him but wondered if I could take something to complement my OK but not always great diet. Not a bad diet but sometimes too knackered to eat as well as I should. No junk food, but not enough veg - that sort of diet. Know what I mean?!

EauRouge Mon 15-Oct-12 12:56:46

Have you had your iron levels checked? Loads of women are anaemic (nothing to do with breastfeeding) and it can make you exhausted if your levels are low. Although I would guess having all those children to look after has a lot to do with your energy levels too, probably more so than the breastfeeding! are you getting much help?

Spatone might be worth a go, if you have a sachet or 2 of that in a glass of fresh fruit juice then that's also 1 of your 5 a day covered. A GP or nurse should be able to give you some advice about anaemia.

issynoko Mon 15-Oct-12 13:55:29

Thanks - will check it out. And you're right. Breastfeeding is the time I get to sit and relax for a bit. Probably still be doing it when he's 45.

MigGril Mon 15-Oct-12 18:58:13

you can take supplements if you go to some where like boots you'll find they do one specially for breastfeeding mums.

The one I'm currently taking has iron in it to. if you need it.

froggers1 Wed 17-Oct-12 18:33:55

Hi - I am EBF a 6 mth old and was v run down so rung the Nutricentre - google them - they sell v good quality supplements that they send out to you. Anyway I asked to speak to a nutritionist and she advised pre natal vitammin, B complex, Vit C, fish oils and siberian ginseng liquid. I am a bit hit and miss with taking it all but I think the key is to get good quality supplements...!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now