Talk

Advanced search

Urgent! Tummy bug in house with 12w ds

(14 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Mon 15-Oct-12 05:31:31

i know this is the wrong place but needed somewhere with lots of traffic.

Last Tuesday dd came down with tummy bug, vomiting for 12 hours, has since passed but still not recovered. Mil came down with it on Friday, and now dh has exploded in the loo!

Miraculously i haven't got it yet (although feeling a bit odd) Have a 12 week old ds, apart from scrupulous hygiene what else can I do?

If ds does catch it what signs should I look out for, what should I do?

He is bf but has one bottle a day. Should I just bf through it? Or give what I know would be a scrupulously clean bottle?

Never had anything like thus before so not sure what to do. My mum was due to visit this week anyway so she could help if I do get it, but don't want her to get it to

Help!

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 15-Oct-12 05:35:44

It's Ok. Just keep breastfeeding, if possible - don't offer formula or milk, as they might make him more sick, though cooled boiled water would be Ok if he wants it. But breastmilk is the absolute best thing for a poorly tummy - apparently!

Don't worry too much, I've never had a poorly baby that small either before but it's possible you will pass on immunity to him through your milk anyway if you manage to get it.

I hope you don't and I hope he doesn't either. It's horrid to have to deal with something like that, isn't it - much sympathy x

toomuchtooyoung Mon 15-Oct-12 06:24:58

Uh oh, just spent last hour scrubbing bathroom and anywhere dh has been. Come back to bedroom to hear ds making all manner of noises from his botty, think he probably has it too

So just bf through it.

Should I offer more often than normal to stop dehydration?

This is all a bit scary with such a wee one. He sounds like he's also got my cold!

I'm just going to put a cross on the door :-(

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 15-Oct-12 06:27:58

Feed on demand, if he wants to feed then yes, allow it. Even if he sicks it up, be totally baby led through it. I found mine both fed a lot through this sort of illness, some of it stayed down, some didn't - but I let them keep trying and they were Ok in the end.

I hope you are both alright, and all of you better soon.

Rosa Mon 15-Oct-12 06:28:14

As long as he keeps feeding and wanting to feed then you should be ok. I agree with if poss the BM as it is not as 'heavy' Just keep an eye on his skin coloration and his nappies if they seem drier than normal and he feeds less then get him checked out.

ZuleikaD Mon 15-Oct-12 07:51:18

Keep feeding. Get lots of rest yourself and lots of fluids. We had a d&v bug when DS was five weeks old and he was the only one who didn't get it (but I was rigorous about washing hands before anyone touching him etc). Good luck!

MooncupMishap Mon 15-Oct-12 07:55:33

Stick to bf if you can, as your body will be making antibodies & ds might escape lightly.

If he gets it be really alert to dehydration & contact gp/nhs if you're at all worried.

toomuchtooyoung Mon 15-Oct-12 08:21:14

Thanks everyone. Me and ds still ok, although he's just had second pooey nappy within 2 hours, but that's not entirely unusual. Will feed on demand and hope for the best.

Would dd get it again or does she now have antibodies?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 15-Oct-12 19:37:02

Your DD should now have antibodies, so font worry. If you have more than one loo, isolate that for however is ill.

DS got DH's norovirus at around 12 weeks & I was in a total panic. He was so sick with it more than anything. Properly vomiting, it was quite scary. I got my mum round for reassurance & we don't even get on blush

I BFed little and often. He developed a raging fever of 39 & couldn't keep calpol down, so we got some paracetamol suppositories from the out of hours GP.

It passed in 24 hours which is down to the magic boobs I guess smile

toomuchtooyoung Tue 16-Oct-12 00:06:29

Well i'm still standing!

Nhs direct finally rang back and confirmed what you all said, so will hopefully bf our way out of sickness.. They also said at the first sign of illness in ds contact gp.

Ds has had a few runnyish nappies thus afternoon but Gp wouldn't do a home visit, wanted me to take ds to the surgery.

Teds77 Tue 16-Oct-12 03:05:59

Hope you still are!

I feel I have to share that I have had horrible d&v a couple of weeks ago and my DTB survived a fountain of 'v' from me as he was feeding at the time and I didn't realise what was happening until too late / all a bit violent! Anyway apart from being a bit shocked grin he survived and neither of my DTs (about 10 weeks at the time) caught it. Breastfeeding through it is the best thing to do. Also my supply dipped for about a day afterwards but there was enough to keep the DTs going and it then returned fine.

teacher123 Tue 16-Oct-12 10:17:49

When we had a virus like this, DS was about 18 weeks. He had it first not terribly badly, then me, then DH. The hardest thing for me was that for about a week after he was dehydrated and so was I. DS fed every 2 hours day and night for a week. I.was.so.tired. Hope you are all ok!

toomuchtooyoung Tue 16-Oct-12 11:12:14

STill haven't succumbed, I don't know how, must have really magic boobs!

Ds had a rough night, slight temp, wouldn't sleep without me holding him, difficult to feed because of blocked nose, but wet and pooey nappy in the morning. Still feeding as often as ever so nothing wrong with his appetite.

Hope this passes soon, I need some sleep to. Seemed to have spent the last week clearing up everyone elses d&v and not sleeping. The joys of motherhood!

Pilchardnpoppy Tue 16-Oct-12 11:57:58

Keep bf through it. I have had various tummy bugs while bf my two and miraculously they have not got it, even though everyone else has. It must be the antibodies. Keep yourself hydrated, and have confidence you will continue to produce milk - you will. Just feed feed feed. Don't give boiled water - no need for it, there are no nutrients. It may fill your baby up, meaning he misses out on nutrients and also may affect your supply. Breast milk is gentle on your babies tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now