Talk

Advanced search

Re-starting bf

(5 Posts)
stargirl1701 Sun 14-Oct-12 00:13:07

Is this possible?

How difficult is it?

I gave up bf when my LO was 17 days. I had been re-admitted to hospital with infective mastitis and sepsis. My milk supply virtually disappeared when my temp went above 39 degrees. It came back and I was mixed feeding - left breast and formula top up. The milk in my right was unfit for consumption according to the lab so I expressed and threw it away. The IV anti-biotics made baby star unwell and, tbh, I stopped coping. I was advised to feed for 30 min on left, feed expressed milk then formula top up followed by expressing on the right breast for 30 min once I recovered and came home. I couldn't cope. It meant feeding lasted 90 min and baby was ready to feed again 30 min later. I had no sleep at all.

So I stopped. It was the correct decision at the time. The anti-biotics are now finished and I feel much stronger. Baby is now 37 days old. I am disappointed my bf journey was so short and wonder if I can bf even though I stopped completely.

I have looked online and it would appear it is possible. Has anyone here done it? How do I get over nipple confusion? How hard would it be? Am I mad to consider this?

chocoluvva Sun 14-Oct-12 01:14:07

I don't have any personal experience of this - sorry - but if you contact someone from the 'La Leche League' they'll be able to advise you.
What a rotten start for you - I'm very glad that you're feeling better again.

TodaysAGoodDay Sun 14-Oct-12 01:39:58

Yes, you can restart BF, but you need support and you need it now. La Leche League is good, as are other BF groups, start trying to suckle baby as soon as you can, you may need to pump as well. Even if baby gets nothing from the breast at first, BF can be re-established if you try. Do get help, I cannot stress this enough, the sooner you try this the better the outcome.
P.S the more feeding you try at night the better, as breasts seem to respond more to night feeding that daytime feeding.
Very good luck, I know how hard it can be.

MigGril Sun 14-Oct-12 07:53:17

have a look on kellymom under relactation. you can do it, it will be hard work.

it is also possible to breastfeed baby from just one breast. Mums feed twins quit happily. Sorry you where given such rubbish support.

monkeypuzzeltree Mon 15-Oct-12 09:19:20

I had a similar experience to you, ds was ill at 3 weeks spent 10 days in hospital and had bottles alone for 10 days while I pumped. I then came home and wanted to bf. first thing was to try and get him to latch as much as possible, lots I along wearing skin to skin. I had naff all milk, tried fenugreek which worked a bit but I couldn't stand the smell of me! I then went to the doctor who gave me domperidone that kicked things off, I still had to pump to up supply but it meant I made enough to get baby interested. I'd say it took about 3 weeks of bf and topping up to really get supply going. Then one weekend I bit the bullet and stopped all bottles, pretty much fed all day for a weekend and then things have been fine.

I won't lie to you, it was very hard work, but if you give it time and resign yourself to giving bf pretty much all your time, it can happen. I'm really glad I did it. Drink lots of water! Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now