Talk

Advanced search

Feeding with expressed bottle milk

(10 Posts)
FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Fri 12-Oct-12 19:39:13

Does anyone know if this is a realistic possibility?

I've got a long way to go yet but am thinking ahead. I want to breast feed when my baby comes along but I don't think I'll be able to manage it. The problem is that I am autistic and I can't overcome some of the sensory issues which go with that. When my daughter was born (19 years ago) I went straight to formular because of this. I don't want to do that this time and wonder if expressing milk right from the start so I can use bottles would work. I think it would feel better for me because I would feel more in control.

Anyone know?

Twinkleinmyeye Fri 12-Oct-12 20:15:37

It is certainly possible. I am not speaking directly from experience, but I've spoken to others who have. I think you have to be very strict about your pumping sessions in order to establish and maintain supply. Not sure how it would work in the early colostrum days though? Hopefully someone else knows!

Mombojombo Fri 12-Oct-12 20:20:38

Hello there
It's completely possible to exclusively express for your baby. Lots of mothers do it, and it's great that given your autism and sensory issues you still want your baby to get the benefit of the milk that was made for him/her. Here's an article from good old Kellymom about it.

I would say it's not the easy option. It's twice the work - you have to put in the time to pump/express and then the time it takes to feed the baby. You'll need to express 8-12 times in 24 hours, including overnight, to establish and maintain your supply. But if control and routine are important for your wellbeing, expressing has its advantages in that you'll be reassured knowing how much your baby is taking, and can express at set times every day.

Good luck - it sounds like you're preparing in good time and have yours and your baby's best interests at heart. Arm yourself with the phone numbers of the breastfeeding helplines as they should also be able to advise on expressing.

Teladi Fri 12-Oct-12 20:23:54

It can be done - I did it for 5 months with my DD.

I wouldn't recommend it normally but you're kind of in the same situation I was in that you want to breastfeed but can't (my DD didn't latch, and it sounds like it might not be possible for you for the other reasons you mention)

You do need to be very strict with yourself and make it a priority. In the early days especially you need to be prepared to pump at least as many times as your baby wants to feed, to mimic as closely as possible what your baby would do at the breast. I pumped 15 minutes both sides 8 times a day in order to establish and maintain supply. This does limit going out and about a bit.

In the very early days you will have to hand express until your milk comes in which is not much fun. After that, the best pump you can get. Hospital grade ones can be hired, I bought a home use double electric pump and found it sufficient.

I am really not an expert on the best way to go about it, just what worked for me, but there are good resources out there. Kellymom.com is excellent on how to build supply, which is paramount as a pump is not as efficient as your baby would be. Also I found this site very useful: Mother 2 Mother

I hope this helps a little.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Fri 12-Oct-12 20:46:16

Thank you all for the info, it's very reassuring. At the moment I'm thinking I want to give breastfeeding itself a go. I just want to cover the options so that if I start to freak out about it I know what I can do.

MumOfTheMoos Fri 12-Oct-12 22:12:17

In the early days my ds had tongue tie and I had to express so it is definitely possible but hard work.

Hire a hospital grade pump and remember you have to pump through the night.

Good luck!

sharond101 Fri 12-Oct-12 22:42:16

I am ebf my DS now 20wks with expressed milk due to medical reasons so yes it can be done. It's alot of work and there have been so many times I have wondered if Iam doing the right thing but Iam still going and continuing to produce enough milk to feed and often more I can freeze. Initially I had to hand express colostrum then onto double pumping 8xdaily, at least 2 of theses between midnight and 6am. The Kellymom website already linked is very good. My baby is thriving, has never had a cold or infection and I have felt very proud to be feeding him on my own. The negative side have found is that it is exhausting especially in the nighttime, It takes double the time breastfeeding normally takes, it's difficult to occupy DS whilst Iam using my pump, it takes up alot of time I could be spending with my family, it's restrictive in me going out as I need to express regularly and not convenient for feeding whilst out and about.

PervyMuskrat Fri 12-Oct-12 23:56:04

It can be done! I expressed from v early on and was lucky enough to be able to express easily - I didn't mind the night expressing though whch made a huge difference. I combined bf and ebm for 5m and then switched to ebm and formula and we never looked back smile

SirBoobAlot Sat 13-Oct-12 00:01:03

It can be done, yes smile Its hard work, but doable.

If you can stand to give breastfeeding itself a go (you say above you'd like to) then even just the first few days of breastfeeding directly will make expressing a lot easier, if you decide to move on to it.

Closer to the time, it might be worth talking to your midwife, and also finding out where the local breastfeeding support groups are to you.

Best of luck smile

Needingsomeadvice Sat 13-Oct-12 00:27:16

Hi FlaminNora

I have PM'd you. I hope that's ok smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now