Talk

Advanced search

Cold-turkey: rock hard boobs!

(12 Posts)
Bet01 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:56:40

I know the cold turkey weaning method is a little controversial but it's been a massive success with 19 month old DS. After asking a couple of times he seems to have completely forgotten about it and last night slept 8 hours straight for the first time in his life.
All well and good, but my boobs are still huge, rock-hard and painful. I stopped on Saturday morning and its now Friday afternoon, so almost a week. They're not as painful as they were but they're still massive...
Does anyone know how long engorgement can take to subside? Also, does it depend how good your supply is? Mine's always been good plus DS was a regular feeder until I stopped (spends 10 hours a day with CM but used to feed at least every couple of hours all night-gah!)
Just wondering really...thanks.

Twinkleinmyeye Fri 12-Oct-12 17:09:20

Not really sure, but if I were you I'd express off just enough to relieve the engorgement to prevent mastitis? Your boobs will still cotton on eventually to stop producing...

AmberLeaf Fri 12-Oct-12 17:51:24

If you express won't that encourage your milk supply though?

I know Epsom salts dry up milk supply, not sure what the current recommendation on using them is though?

Bet01 Fri 12-Oct-12 20:13:29

Thanks. That's the quandary really, to express or not to express? I thought I might try expressing just a bit and see if that works. They're so rock hard now that its actually quite difficult to express anything!

Twinkleinmyeye Fri 12-Oct-12 20:21:01

As i understand it, if you express just enough to feel some relief but not drain your boobs then your body will still get the "stop producing" messages but you are less likely to get mastitis. It will take slightly longer than if you didn't express at all, but mastitis is horrible and engorgement is painful. The trick is to express just a small amount. I think. grin

Dinglebert Mon 15-Oct-12 10:12:28

For me, it was one of the most painful things. In hindsight, I should probably have done what people are suggesting here and express off a little bit. It did take a couple of weeks for me - but hopefully it will be quicker for you.

WitchesTitWhistles Mon 15-Oct-12 10:16:02

I would try hand expressing in a warm bath or shower, don't now if you were thinking of using a breast pump to express some off but in my experience they are a bit too powerful!

You want to just allow enough to leak out so they are comfortable, without feeling the letdown, if you can.

WitchesTitWhistles Mon 15-Oct-12 10:17:10

'Don't know not "now". Tut!

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 15-Oct-12 10:18:58

Cold dark green cabbage leaves will help relieve the discomfort - stick them in the fridge first.

Hopefully it will ease off in the next few days just keep any expressing to a minimum.

whatinthewhatnow Mon 15-Oct-12 10:24:37

I did cold turkey with both of mine and it was def the best way for us! with dd after 2 weeks (!) I got the beginnings of mastitis and then I did express a bit, just enough to get rid of the pain. I hadn't wanted to because I just wanted the milk to go away, but I had to do it that one time and that was enough. I didn't have any problems after that. So if you're super uncomfortable express for comfort, just a teeny teeny bit until they don't feel awful. good luck.

whatinthewhatnow Mon 15-Oct-12 10:25:47

dd was 27 months when I did it, btw.

Bet01 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:54:03

Thanks for all the advice. Feeling much better now on day 10!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now