Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Someone talk some sense into me

(12 Posts)
melliebobs Fri 12-Oct-12 10:02:09

Ive bf dd for 7 months. We've dealt with reflux, ongoing thrush, and I'm on my 2nd bout of mastitis in 5 weeks. I'm sat here in pain and in tears thinking I've had enough. Ive been in pain for the best part of 3 months and im thinking that was possibly just the last bf im gonna do. But at the same time in so bloody stubborn. I've worked so hard to get this far (2 night feeds is a good night) and I don't want to give up that easy. Since the start I've each day at a time. But once I got to 6 months I thought I'd cracked it n id carry on for at least a year. Now i feel like I'm failing and don't know what to do for the best. Oh for crying out loud I need to get a grip. I'm just in pain, tired and now bloomin emotional. It's just not fair (childish strop)

shuckleberryfinn Fri 12-Oct-12 10:04:36

Can you tell us about the pain, where it is and when it occurs?

are there any local breastfeeding support services, they can help you. Chin up, you are going to be ok, whatever happens ok?

melliebobs Fri 12-Oct-12 10:09:07

Well me boob is swollen and sore and hot and I've got a red rash on the underside that makes look like its bin dipped in hot water. It throbs n feels like its burning n when she eats it feels like a real biting pain or like someone's shoving needles down my nipple sad

I've seen bfn support people countless times n had my latch checked. HV has no advice either. I'm so (pardon my language) fucking fucked offangry

NevermarriedDuranduran Fri 12-Oct-12 12:12:58

Ive been there done that, just persevere my dear its worth it! With DS2 I got very ill and hat to give up BF at 7 months, due to the meds I had to take. GP said youve done enough just stop BF here and go on to Ff, no other advice. I hated FF, its faffy, messy, my bedside carpet still smells of stale milk from all the bottles dropped and you have to drag all the stuff around everywhere. I grieved terribly and missed feeding him it was not a good time. If it happened again I would persevere and keep my supply going so I could restart after taking meds, I just really loved BF and missed the ease of it. Now BF DD3 and not giving up!!! Have had mastitis with all 3, just go see your gp and get on antibiotics asap, it will help. I know alot of people say try to cure it naturally but just go and get help and get well. X

mawbroon Fri 12-Oct-12 12:47:58

Can you tell us a bit more about your feeding experience?

mentlejen Fri 12-Oct-12 12:51:29

The depths of mastitis are bound to get to you and have a big impact on your feelings about breast feeding right now.

I was v prone to it with dc2, now 11 months. Warm shower on the sore area, hot water bottle (on and off aa much as you can) and frequent feeding from that side will help (despite the pain, you need to feed from that side to drain it). If you've got a temperature the infection has taken hold so get antibiotics (and pro biotics to counter the downsides) and rest as much as you're able. Under-treating it can make it more likely to recur. Change feeding positions if possible to put baby's bottom lip opposite the sore point. (I did some crazy feeding leaning over babe while he lay on our bed feeding). All of these things combined really helped me. I'll avoid antibiotics if I can, mastitis is the only thing I've taken them for in 10 years but so necessary!

Postponing any decisions on breast feeding until you're back on your feet might be a good plan. If you do decide to move on from bfeeding you'll need to do it slowly to avoid another bout of mastitis.

I really enjoyed bfeeding DC1 and fed her until around a year. Weaning was c easy and seemed to be led by her (although may have just been a nursing strike). DC2 has been less fun (mastitisx 4, he pulls, pinches, bites, is beyond distract-able in the day time). I am weaning him from bfeeding now slowly but am pleased we stuck it out.

Most importantly, don't let anyone make you feel bad about your choices. You have done the most important 6 months..

melliebobs Fri 12-Oct-12 13:04:09

That's the thing I do enjoy it. I love the convenience. Just been in a holiday n it was great not to have to lug extra stuff. N the bedtime feed is my fave seeing her drop off. N I've battled this far.

I've managed to get past the reception wenches n seeing a gp this afternoon. Again. Last time I was there with mastitis was beginning of september sad I don't have a temperature but feel like I've got flu. Got the shivers. My joints ache especially my fingers back n hips. I know I have to keep feeding from that side. It just makes me sick thinking about it.

Can't remember who said it but I'm not in the right state to make any decision. I'm too emotional n feel like garbage. sad

melliebobs Fri 12-Oct-12 17:28:23

Gp was lovely. I had a big cry (not like me) and begged for the soy formula dd would need. But she calmed me down n talked me round (thank god) n I left with a big dose of antibiotics. Feel a bit more positive n fed twice from the dodgy side through stifled screams. Grandma came round n helped with dd cos all my joints ache I struggled to do even her nappy. We will get there smile

nearlyreadytopop Fri 12-Oct-12 19:31:42

Melliebobs, sounds like you have a sensible GP. I had mastitis once and it was beyond horrible, it is the most awful thing ever and I swore as soon as it was over I was weaning Ds to the bottle. BUT once the antibiotics kicked in and I was rational enough to think about it I couldnt handle giving up (and I was too afraid of getting mastitis again to cut back on feeds). Really hope you feel better soon. It might be a good idea to look at why its happening to prevent it reoccuring recurrent mastitis

confuddledDOTcom Fri 12-Oct-12 19:49:41

The best thing you can do is just keep feeding. If it hurts to have baby on that side then feed from the other and pump. Mastitis isn't the time, as much as it feels like it, to stop breastfeeding.

Hope you're feeling better soon, it's horrid, isn't it sad

melliebobs Fri 12-Oct-12 21:54:02

nearly having read that it's the same as what the dr said. Last course of antibiotics weren't quite right. Got different ones thus time and a longer course.

The feverish shivers have kicked in so I'm off to shiver n whimper in bed

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 12-Oct-12 22:41:43

Poor you mastitis is awful. Don't make any rash decisions in the heat if it all. I desists rely wanted to stop BFing when I had it but am so pleased I carried on.

Take pain killers & wait for the anti B's to kick in. I needed two weeks worth to shift it. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now