Talk

Advanced search

Best bottle for supplementing when bf?

(7 Posts)
smk84 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:55:37

Just hoping for some wisdom on this. Ds18 wo, has had the odd top up of ebm in breastflow bottle and taken it very well. We are going to be supplementing with some formula each day as his weight gain is too slow (long story!). Have heard nuk is good, just wondering what your thoughts /experiences are. Thank you.

Lirogiro Thu 11-Oct-12 23:34:37

Hi smk,
I had to supplement due to slow weight gain (again a long story) and i used breastflow throughout. My baby had 3 bottles of formula daily using breastflow bottles and happily went between bottle and breast.
He's now on solid food at 7 months and i swapped the formula feeds for meals so now he just has food and breastmilk which feels great and the bottles are consigned to the cupboard - hooray!
But they did the trick and ds gained weight nicely and it didn't seem to impact my bf like i'd feared.
My only niggle with them was that they had a tendency to be a bit leaky especilly if still a bit warm from the steriliser, but i was just happy that ds seemed happy to go between bottle and breast.

Softlysoftly Fri 12-Oct-12 03:46:40

We used a preemie Dr Brown bottle to avoid wind and give really slow flow as anything else made her gulp and vomit. She's on the full size newborn teat Dr Browns if she needs a bottle when I'm out now so rarely!

Softlysoftly Fri 12-Oct-12 03:47:52

I would actively avoid tommee yuppie closer to nature btw. DD has such a strong suck the teat would just collapse at each gulp.

Softlysoftly Fri 12-Oct-12 03:49:15

*yuppie lol a bottle with a brick mobile phone and shiny suit yelling "buy sell!" and Duran duran hair.

God I need sleep

TeaandHobnobs Fri 12-Oct-12 05:15:57

DS has been using the NUK latex teats since week 2 and has had no confusion issues. The motion of his mouth with the teat does look very similar to the motion of breastfeeding.

There are silicon teats as well, which are longer lasting (you need to replace the latex ones every couple of months as the latex degrades) but the latex is more similar to skin.

smk84 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:12

Thank you everyone. LIro I hope we can do that too. How did you decide when to stop offering the formula? Hehe softly ! Tried tt with ds1, terrible I can't understand how any baby can suck on them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now