Talk

Advanced search

19 month old wants to cuddle naked breast

(5 Posts)
NAR4 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:22:02

My 19 month old breastfed a lot up until about a month ago (think my milk doesn't taste right now I am 6 months pregnant), but still insists on cuddling a naked breast for comfort and to go to sleep. Fine when I am at home but causes major upset when I am out and refuse. Has anyone else experienced this or got any suggestions?

TryDrawingAPicture Thu 11-Oct-12 13:45:37

I would say that it's ok to stand firm about this. By all means, if it gives him comfort at home and you don't mind then why not? But when you are out, and if it doesn't suit you then be gentle but firm about refusing. Being kind and understanding with your child doesn't mean that you can't teach them that some behaviours are not as suitable in public as they are at home.

At 19 months, he is old enough to get the idea that he is not simply being rejected. It's not like you're refusing to cuddle him at all.

NAR4 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:29:49

Thanks for the reply. I have just been telling her that the boobies are having a rest now and she can have a cuddle without them.

EauRouge Fri 12-Oct-12 15:51:48

At 19 months a lot of mothers start to negotiate with their child about when and where they can be breastfed and this is a similar situation. How about carrying her in a sling so that she is close to you? There are some really comfy ones that are great for older babies.

EauRouge Fri 12-Oct-12 15:52:25

Argh, might be tricky at 6 months pregnant though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now