Talk

Advanced search

Excruciating pain in one boob. Please help!

(7 Posts)
AnnaLiza Thu 11-Oct-12 10:52:22

Could it be thrush? It hurts like hell when I feed. DS is 8 months old and has teeth so initially I put down the pain to him grazing me with his razor blades teeth. However, it's only my right boob which is affected so I'm thinking that perhaps the teeth contributed to let the thrush penetrate in my boob If that makes sense?
His mouth is clear however he does have a strange looking nappy rash which is not shifting. He's ebf and does not take dummies or bottles.
The pain is terrible while he nurses and it becomes like a dull, deep pain afterwards.
What else can it be if not thrush? And if it is, what should I ask m doctor to prescribe?
If this pain doesn't go away I don't know if I can carry on feeding from the right boob much longer!
TIA

smk84 Thu 11-Oct-12 12:53:02

Had something similar myself, turned out to be suspected blocked duct. I called lll, they have given fab advice.sympathy it's awful being in so much pain ESP where your baby's nutrition is involved.

smk84 Thu 11-Oct-12 12:54:40

If you have thrush, breastfeeding network have a pamphlet for hcps , if you google it it should come up, sorry don't know how to link on my iPad yet !

chicaguapa Thu 11-Oct-12 13:03:29

I had problems getting diflucan (sp?) from the GP when I was breastfeeding and had thrush. I was advised by the NCT breastfeeding counsellor to take in some printouts from the interweb showing that it was safe as so little made it into the milk. I was in tears the first time I went and the doctor told me that breastfeeding hurts anyway. angry Bastard!

Flimflammery Thu 11-Oct-12 13:12:04

Mastitis? That can be very painful. Is your breast hard in one quarter? You get it when a duct is blocked and then becomes infected. Antibiotics will clear it up. If it hasn't progressed too far, then you can massage it to unblock it, it helps to do it in the bath.

AnnaLiza Thu 11-Oct-12 13:25:24

Definitely not mastitis. Boob is soft to touch and not engorged.
I've found the print out from BFN and I'm now ready to face my GP this afternoon!
Wish me good luck!

AnnaLiza Fri 12-Oct-12 15:52:38

I've managed to get the right thrush treatment from my GP. However I'm not even convinced it is thrush. There seems to be a red area around teeth marks on the areola. Can it be that infection has got in through this little wound?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now