Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and detoxing. Is it safe?

(7 Posts)
Gina1981 Thu 11-Oct-12 10:43:24

Dd is 11m and still having 5/6 bf's a day. I'm thinking about starting a 28 day health and fitness program which will entail detoxing. There are no tablets involved. The change will be in my diet. Cutting out wheat, dairy, anything processed, caffeine, etc. I will be eating a lot of nourishing foods and a lot of it too!! Does anyone have any advice on detoxing whilst breastfeeding and if it is safe??

ZuleikaD Thu 11-Oct-12 10:52:05

Well, it sounds as though you'll just be eating really healthily, so I can't see that there'd be a problem. You might find that your DD notices a change in your milk and objects - I would guess it depends how long you're planning to continue breastfeeding for.

'Detoxing' is medically nonsense, though, you know? Your body detoxes itself all the time via your liver and kidneys. All the gubbins about your body storing toxins is pseudoscience.

Gina1981 Thu 11-Oct-12 11:07:36

There are a lot of herbal teas involved, are there any specific ones I should stay clear from?

ZuleikaD Thu 11-Oct-12 11:23:02

Herbal teas can have effects on breastfeeding. I got this list from breastfeedingproblems.com but they recommend speaking to a doctor before drinking a lot of herbal tea:

Teas that a breastfeeding mother should NOT drink (not a complete list)

- Borage tea, Comfrey tea
- Or any teas containing any of the following herbs:

Bladderwrack, Buckthorn, Chaparral, Coltsfoot (Farfarae folium), Dong Quai (Angelica Root), Elecampane, Ephedra / Ephedra sinica / Ma Huang, Ginseng (Panax ginseng), Evodia, Black Cohosh, Valerian, Indian Snakeroot, Kava-kava (piper methysticum), Petasites root, Phen-fen, Rhubarb root, Star anise, Tiratricol (TRIAC), Uva Ursi, Wormwood, Sophora root, Ginkgo, Coptis, Aloe, Senna, Borrage, Licorice, Basil, Rue

Teas that may reduce milk supply

- Sage tea, Menthol, spearmint or peppermint teas
- Teas containing any of the following herbs: Black Walnut, Chickweed, Cocoa, Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum), Lemon Balm, Oregano, Parsley (Petroselinum crispum), Periwinkle Herb (Vinca minor), Sorrel (Rumex acetosa), Thyme, Yarrow

Teas that are safe to drink while breastfeeding (also not a complete list)

- Ginger tea, Linden flower tea, Orange peel & Citrus peel teas, Rose hip tea(contains extra vitamin C), Orange cinnamon tea, Lemon tea, Raspberry teas

Teas safe for increasing milk supply
- Fenugreek tea (large amounts may lower blood sugar levels)
- Blessed thistle tea can be taken in small amounts.
- Fennel tea also taken in small amounts
- Raspberry leaf tea
- Goat’s rue teas
- Nettle tea
- Teas containing the following herbs: Hops flowers, brewer’s yeast, Milk thistle , Alfalfa.

tiktok Thu 11-Oct-12 12:56:44

I agree detoxing is nonsense - eating healthily to feel better is fine but the very notion of detoxing has no science to it whatsoever.

I'd say the same about the list of herbal teas to avoid as well - herbs can have medicinal effects for sure, but the amount of herb in a tea drunk once or twice a day is minimal, and the amount that reaches the breastmilk will be even more minimal and the chances of affecting a baby of 11 months even more minimal. Supply is not very fragile at 11 mths, so teas with herbs reputed to decrease supply probably will not be an issue smile

But I can't point to anything more than common sense and a sceptical turn of mind to back me up here, sorry. If it was me, and I really wanted to drink one of the teas on that list, I'd find a better source to convince me I shouldn't smile

Gina1981 Thu 11-Oct-12 14:25:39

Thank you for all the info. I couldn't think of anything negative about the program that I am about to start. If anything it will get be back into shape and surely all the "crap" I will be excluding from my diet can only benefit me and my dd. it's all about changing and breaking the bad habits!! I feel more confident to start now!! God I must sound like I eat crap all day long! I really don't! Lol

Gina1981 Thu 11-Oct-12 14:26:44

Oooo one more thing, has anyone heard of tulsi tea? If so is that ok to drink in large quantities whilst breastfeeding?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now