Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding after a general anaesthetic for D&C

(16 Posts)
DeeLite Wed 10-Oct-12 16:03:32

I need to have a d&c to remove retained products from the placenta following my baby's birth two weeks ago sad. The nurse thought but could not confirm that I would be unable to feed for 24 hours afterwards. Does anyone know if this is correct? My baby is so young and my supply not yet well-established that I worry that a 24 hour break in feeding will ruin my supply. I also tend to get mastitis when I express so the idea of pumping and dumping does not appeal.

tiktok Wed 10-Oct-12 16:15:20

24 hours is really, really ridiculous...and angry to the nurse who 'think' this and does not make sure by checking.

Once you are conscious, the GA is out of your bloodstream (otherwise you'd be unconscious) and once the GA is out of your bloodstream it is out of your milk.

Women have GA for a section, and bf immediately they come round.

I suggest you call the department and ask to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about, and download the factsheet here www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html and share it with anyone who says you cannot bf.

Oh and complain about the nurse smile

MrsGubbins Wed 10-Oct-12 16:19:12

second what tiktok has written, I had a general when my dd was 14 months old and fed her as soon as I was awake. It's very sad that the nurse doesn't know what she's talking about!

good luck and congratulations on your baby

lurcherlover Wed 10-Oct-12 16:21:44

Yep, absolute rubbish. I had a gynae op while bf and could feed as soon as I was awake. The anaesthetist knew I was bf so used a short-acting anaesthetic, but tbh having had a few now it felt no different to the others! As soon as you're awake the medication is gone (otherwise it would still be working and you'd still be asleep).

I've also had a D&C and they're very quick - you won't be under for long. Don't worry.

lurcherlover Wed 10-Oct-12 16:22:57

Oh, one other thing - ask to be put first on the theatre list so you don't have to be nil by mouth for too long- and if they keep you waiting around, ask to be put on a drip for fluids. Don't get dehydrated.

Asmywhimsytakesme Wed 10-Oct-12 16:23:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trazzletoes Wed 10-Oct-12 16:25:57

Had a GA in May. One nurse told me to wait 24 hours, another said 48!!!!! In the end, anaesthetist advised me to discard the first feed after I woke up but that feeding after that is fine. Good luck with the operation!

DeeLite Wed 10-Oct-12 16:35:33

Thank you everyone. That is such great advice.

It's been a rough few weeks as I had a huge post-partum hemmorage (sp?) at home a week ago followed by days in hospital getting a blood transfusion and being fed lots of drugs by drip (all following a lovely drug-free birth ironically) but managed to keep up my supply and continue breastfeeding so was devastated that breastfeeding might now be compromised. Feel much happier now although still gutted I have to have a d&c.

DeeLite Wed 10-Oct-12 16:38:47

Lurcher, I'm happy to hear a d&c is quick. Did you have much pain and bleeding afterwards?

lurcherlover Wed 10-Oct-12 17:09:43

Not much pain, no. I bled for about a week, but mine was to sort out a missed miscarriage - yours might not be as bad, depending on how much tissue is there I guess. It will be fine, don't worry.

oxford1972 Wed 10-Oct-12 19:21:22

I breastfed as soon as I can round from my csection ga pretty much.
I have also had an ERPC from a missed miscarriage and it was fine physically. Had it lunchtime and was back home early evening. No paid at all really.

SauvignonBlanche Wed 10-Oct-12 19:25:52

I've had 2 EMCS with GAs and have fed straightaway.

SalagadooLamagicaboo Wed 10-Oct-12 19:27:48

Had emcs under ga, and fed dd straight away.

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Oct-12 19:31:17

I had a ga last year when DD was 2 days old. I only had to express enough force couple of feeds for while I was unconscious! I think I fed her within about an hour of coming round.

HoratiaWinwood Wed 10-Oct-12 19:32:11

I had a different gynae op (keyhole) under GA and the anaesthetist took bf into consideration when choosing which drug to use.

In the end it was the shot of morphine I begged for when I came round blush that would have prevented a feed, but it was 10pm and by the time I fed him again it was mid-morning and no issue.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope all goes smoothly.

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Oct-12 19:32:37

Oh yes, had a GA for her emcs, fed her when I came round 3 hours later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now