Baby vomiting :0( When to offer breast milk...?(17 Posts)
DD is just a year and in the last hour has been sick three times - this has never happened with any of mine at this stage before and I don't really know what to do now. I have offered a bit of water (she's been sick since) which she rarely takes anyway (preferring breast milk, or at a push very dilute juice). Do I offer her breast milk? Will she keep it down? Or do I just give her nothing for now? She isn't crying for milk so do I let her guide me and feed her if she asks or do I offer it to prevent any kind of dehydration...? She is DC4. surely I should know this stuff...? I know what I'd do for toddler age and older....... MPD
When my dd's have been sick i always gave them breastmilk. They are less likely to sick it back up and the comfort of breastfeeding helps them feel better and often sends them to sleep for a bit.
If you think she might be getting dehydrated or even just to lubricate her throat after feeling sick give her some breastmilk. If you offer it is up to her to take it.
Hope she gets better soon
Breastmilk is absolutely the best thing for her. Even if she is sick she will keep some down. It's comfort and nutrition and hydration all packaged up in a cuddle. Hydration is the key thing here.
DD had a vomiting bug at the same age and was v sick many times in the first few hours. It was upsetting and difficult but just keep an eye on signs of hydration ie alert, wet mouth, wet nappies etc.
Sometimes breast milk was the only thing mine kept down. It's perfect for this situation
Yes, keep feeding. When my dd had a bug and was hospitalised, the nurses were unsure whether I should still bf, (cows milk is not recommended) but I did, and later read that in fact it is easily absorbed and good for the gut so helps the baby recover more quickly. Feed as much as she wants and you will help prevent her getting dehydrated. Hope she is better soon.
Thanks for the quick responses. I love MN for times like this!
She has heaved again since I posted, even though she's had no more water or breast milk. Should I wait until a certain time has passed without heaving...? I guess she's heaved every half an hour for the last hour and a half. She's still not asking for milk and when I verbally offered/suggested milk, I didn't get the usual excited enthusiasm....but then Baby Jake was on iplayer so who am I to compete with him...??! Shall I just be led by her...? thanks everyone.
I hate puke. I feel like a rubbish mum. This is so stressful
Well I've just fed her.......so now we wait.....
She slept from midnight til 6am with no sicky disturbances and has now kept down some water, very dilute juice and two bfs. I'm hoping it was just a shortlived thing and also hoping that she doesn't generously share it with the rest of us.... Thanks so much for the advice. MPD
I'm glad she's a bit better today. Don't worry if she suddenly starts being sick again (though any other symptoms, any change, anything worrying you of course get checked out). It's fairly common for them to be sick again once their stomach starts holding more drink/food. It seems to leave their guts a bit sensitive and the sickness can return while they're still fragile. You might be lucky though.
Is your washing machine permanently on today? Sickness bugs are miserable. It might have been something she ate too which ime is over faster once it's out of their systems so maybe nobody else will catch it? Here's hoping.
We had what was probably the same bug recently. DS was better in 24 hours but was so distressed. I gave him tiny sips of water and tried not to bf as he kept puling the milk back up but after about 4 hours I let him bf a bit, just tried to keep the amounts of liquid small so they stayed down. After about 6 hours he didn't puke any more so I bf as normal and he slept it off for much of that day. Hope your lo is feeling better soon. Our surgery doesn't like visits with vomiting bugs as they are so contagious but I spoke to the doctor on the phone.
DS has had a vomiting thing twice. Each time I've BF and fed little & often so he has a better chance of keeping it down. It's the best thing for them by far & your body with make antibodies to help fight it.
If your LO has a fever, you will be able to get suppository paracetamol from the out of hours GP. Helped massively with DS as he couldn't keep calpol down.
Hope it gets better soon
I'm a bit stressed tonight as I cannot work out what's going on. I think she is mostly better. She slept the rest of last night without a problem and woke seemingly very chirpy. DH got up with her and have her half a cup of water and about the same of very dilute juice, which stayed down. I got up and since she seemed to tolerate these drinks and because she wanted milk I fed her. Two hours later the milk reappeared. She slept, woke and DH have water or juice (can't recall - was at work briefly) which stayed down. I got in about 2 and gave her milk, which she threw up 10 mins later . Apart from these milk pukes she hasn't heaved at all (last night she was heaving with no drink offered, just puking over and over) and has seemingly tolerated clear fluid and 5mls of calpol (2x 2.5mls given 20 mins apart). Tonight she has been whingey and sad and asking/signing milk so I have des her but only twice for about 2 minutes each side. She has got cross about this but I reckon the sick today has been because instead of sips (like the clear fluids) she has forged and it's been too much for her tummy. Do you think we are over the worst of it?? What do I do next time she wakes? Just let her feed or limit how much she has again? She has been weeing and a bit dribbly tonight so I'm fairly happy she's not dehydrated but her breath smells of ketones - not sure if that's a concern or to be expected...any ideas about that? Thanks so much for your support. MPD
Her breath smells of ketones because she is losing weight, happens to my dds every time they get a vomiting bug or a nasty flu. I would just let her have what she wants. Plain live yoghurt, maybe with a little honey, is good as she starts to have some solids, as is plain white rice, and pureed cooked apple (the pectin helps settle the gut. )
I think you are getting over the worse if it, as she is keeping some stuff down now. I limit the Bfeeds to 2 mins ish or it comes back up and just do it little & often. Any sizeable anything is likely to come back up tbh.
Hopefully she will be back to normal tomorrow.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.