Talk

Advanced search

Couple of questions: expressing to feed at night

(4 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Mon 08-Oct-12 20:03:18

I've been EBF DS for four and a half months now. He's had a bottle of expressed milk during the day two or three times now so I can pop out, but as I have a couple of things coming up that I'd like to be a little less sleep-deprived for, we're toying with the idea of giving an occasional night feed to DH.

Firstly, have I been EBFing long enough now for my milk supply to remain unaffected by a couple of skipped night feeds? Well aware I'd probably wake up with boobs like hot rocks but I'd plan to feed DS then express straight away in the morning.

Secondly, DS is hard work to get back to sleep in the middle of the night and I suspect he's as reliant on the comfort of the boob, as much as the calories, to get him back to sleep. It would be great, therefore, if DH could feed him in the cot so he doesn't have to move him and wake him any more than necessary. How risky is it to do this? I know there's risk of ear infections, but is this risk the same with EBM? And how do I minimise choking hazard while also minimising sleep disturbance?

Thanks in advance!

Happygirl77 Wed 10-Oct-12 00:58:37

1 - should be ok, you might want to have expressing stuff sterilised ready in case you need to express during the night. Only one way to find out!
2 - I would get your DH to dreamfeed your ds - lift him while he's still asleep and put the teat between his lips; hopefully he will just glug it down in a warm and sleepy state and not need a lot of winding or settling.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 10-Oct-12 08:37:46

What about when he wakes in the night for a feed? Is there any safe way of feeding him in his cot once he's woken up to minimise moving him around and waking him up too much? He usually relies on a warm boob to help get him back to sleep so I'm thinking a bottle in the cot with minimal stimulation might also work, but want to make sure it's safe.

KatAndKit Wed 10-Oct-12 10:37:24

I wouldn't do that feeding in the cot thing personally. It doesn't sound ideal to me and I'd imagine that a feed with a cuddle and some patting might be better for getting him back to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now