Talk

Advanced search

Is it teething ?

(17 Posts)
janmk Sat 06-Oct-12 12:36:20

My 17 week old has been very hard to feed the last 5 days... She starts screaming and refusing the bottle part way through most feeds . She has no visible gum / teeth issues. If I put my finger in she will chew down on it - but I am not sure if she would do this anyway. She dribbles only a little . She is now pooing about 5 times a day rather than the usual 2 or 3 and they are loose and she has nappy rash . She has pink cheeks sometimes but not all the time. Once we stop feeding she settles quite quickly which is why I don't think it is the reflux she usually has. Do you think this is teething or should I be concerned ??

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 15:06:47

Has she got a temperature and what are you using for the nappy rash?

Iggly Sat 06-Oct-12 15:08:23

Maybe she's a bit under the weather?

janmk Sat 06-Oct-12 15:13:53

She doesn't feel like she has a fever tho I haven't checked her temp ... Using Metanium on her bum ...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 15:15:48

I'd take her temperature, if it's raised I think it is unlikely to be teething and like Iggly says, she could be just under the weather. Whichever it is it is useful to keep an eye on her temperature.

Metanium is good stuff, hope her nappy rash gets better soon.

janmk Sat 06-Oct-12 15:42:50

Temp checked and is fine ...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 15:54:13

Thats good news then smile.

Have you tried her with any painkillers to see if things improve?

janmk Sat 06-Oct-12 16:04:33

Just teething powders ... And I am not sure if they are helping or not .

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 16:11:57

I never found teething powders to be much good although I know some who swear by them. I'd try her with some Ibruprofen, whether its her teeth or a bug unsettling her it might help.

janmk Sat 06-Oct-12 16:17:43

Thanks for ur help. She seems quite perky at the moment ... It is just the feeds - have calpol in if needed x

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 16:19:22

Some of my friends swear by teething necklaces too, although I've never tried those.....

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 16:20:05

Oh and if she's like this still on Monday I'd take her to the GP and get them to check her ears. Sometimes an ear infection can cause problems with feeding.

janmk Sun 07-Oct-12 15:22:59

Still happening with the screaming on feeds :-( is anyone else having this with their lo ?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 07-Oct-12 16:31:55

Did you try the Calpol janmk?

Iggly Sun 07-Oct-12 16:34:45

Ok ihad this with ds but wouldn't feed at all as had reflux. How often does she feed?

janmk Sun 07-Oct-12 16:56:23

No I haven't tried the calpol as she had been ok ish with first two feeds ... She has five feeds a day . She has gaviscon for reflux but this doesn't feel the same as reflux as she seems to settle as soon as feeding over and bottle isn't in her mouth....

Iggly Sun 07-Oct-12 20:24:02

Maybe she wants to change her feeding pattern?

Is her intake overall changing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now