Talk

Advanced search

Is he ok?

(6 Posts)
TessabelleDaydreamer Sat 06-Oct-12 04:28:05

Hello everyone,

My little boy is nearly 3 weeks old and over the last 2/3 days he has been almost impossible to wind. Then his tummy goes really, really tight and he becomes quite distressed, grimacing and writhing. We've tried tummy massage and keep trying to wind him but nothing seems to work and it breaks my heart to see him so distressed. This is worse at night but can be a problem in the day too but not to such a great extent. He is mixed fed, mainly bottle with EBM, a bit of breast and topped up with formula where required. He's always fed this way as he was on SCBU when he was born and initially was formula fed so h isn't having anything different.

Can anyone give me any advice on what is causing this and/or what we can do about it.

Thank you

Tess

Grumpla Sat 06-Oct-12 04:35:30

My DS was very windy when small, at 3 weeks he was being breastfed with bottles of EBM and formula as well as I was trying to establish BF (he was tongue tied)

I started winding him in the middle of each feed rather than waiting until the end which really helped.

Winding tricks which worked for us included sitting him very upright over a hand, bouncing leg whilst patting his back. Also shifting between this and the over-the-shoulder pat. Stroking his back upwards. When things got really painful for him I used gripe water which was very effective - a dose of boots own brand gripe mixture in about an ounce of cooled boiled water used to produce the most amazing belches!

The really good news though is that he grew out of it very quickly - by the time he was a few months old it was no longer an issue.

Good luck smile

TessabelleDaydreamer Sat 06-Oct-12 22:58:34

Thanks for the tips smile I tried massaging his stomach and that helped aswell as switching from lap to shoulder. I think I had him slumped on my lap which didn't help so I'm trying to stretch him out when I wind him too!

Amazing how easy things like this look until you have to do it yourself!

Impatientwino Sun 07-Oct-12 06:45:29

I've been having very similar problems with wind (well my baby not me!)

I started a thread in the Parenting topic called 'tips on winding' asking for advice and there were lots of helpful replies

I'm sorry I have no idea how to link to a thread (technophobe) but have a look there too.

HappyHippyChick Sun 07-Oct-12 06:55:35

Here's a link to that thread Impatient mentioned. Good luck, it's horrid so see them like this.

Softlysoftly Sun 07-Oct-12 10:04:33

What bottles are you using? I found Dr Browns with DD1 decreased her wind. Expensive ut worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now