Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 month old baby starting formula. Don't know what I'm doing! Help please

(2 Posts)
Jenjii Fri 05-Oct-12 09:50:23

Hi. My 6 mo ds has been ebf but due to regular mastitis and a bunch of other problems I won't bore you with I've decided to switch to formula feeding. I haven't a clue what I'm doing so help needed please! Here are my questions
As he is 6 months do I still need to sterilise cups? I am washing them in dishwasher. Is that enough or should I sterilise after?
I am using cups to feed him as he doesn't seem to be able to work a bottle. However he doesn't take the milk as a 'feed' in one go. Instead he'll take a small drink every few minutes like an adult would. I know I have to discard any milk left in the cup after 2 hours. In this time he isn't drinking the 7 oz the packet says a baby his age needs. He usually has about 5 oz. How much milk in total should he drink in a day? Should I be constantly offering milk if he is taking 2 hours to drink 5 oz? I feel like that would take over our lives a bit.
Also I am also doing blw at the same time as this transferring to formula business. Problem is when do I offer food? They say 1 hour after a feed but when is that if he is just grazing on the milk?
Sorry for the long post. Hoping for some wise mn advice!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 05-Oct-12 09:54:54

Not an expert on ff but the dishwasher should be fine for bottles. Also, a bf baby takes on average an ounce every hour, so that would be about 2 ounces every 2 hours. He's doing better than this and he should start taking more as he gets used to it.

If he is grazing on the milk, I'd just do the solids around his naps so its more convenient to you.

So say he wakes at 7, give him a bottle and then breakfast at 8.
Lunch half an hour before a second nap, say around 11.30
and then tea with you at around 5ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now