Talk

Advanced search

Think have over supply and fast let-down, please help

(8 Posts)
Dippy001 Thu 04-Oct-12 23:58:00

My baby is now 13 weeks old. Things have been bad for about 3 weeks now during the day only. He starts to suck his hands so I whip my norks out, he sucks for 10 seconds and he just turns away and starts crying. He's then fussy and cries for about an hour until eventually taking the breast, calming down due to being so exhausted and falling asleep.
I think it is fast let down but he doesn't cry at all during the night, it is just during the day. I have kept him on one boob for 4 hours but he still does it. At night he goes 5 hours before feeding and he's fine, doesn't let any dribble out or cough due to having too much. I can't see any spots in his mouth. So what is going on? I'm just getting really upset about it now. It's certainly not the 'enjoyable' relationship I thought we would have.

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 06:36:37

Why do you think it's fast letdown? I have this and oversupply. But my DS also had reflux and around 12 weeks did the same as your baby (upset at feeding) then he eventually stopped feeding altogether unless asleep. I had to get medication to sort him out and tackle the letdown by block feeding.

Please get a lactation consultant or BF counsellor to watch you feed. Are there any groups near you?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 05-Oct-12 09:38:47

Agree with Iggly that you really need to see a BFC about this Dippy. It could be a number of issues. I would get him checked for tongue tie while you are there too.

As for the forceful letdown, does it sound like this?

As for the hand sucking, it doesn't always mean hunger, have a look here. Could he just be tired and want to sleep? How often is he feeding during the day and how much does he nap?

Dippy001 Fri 05-Oct-12 11:25:38

Sometimes I think it is fast letdown, sometimes I think it isn't as he cries before it comes down at times. I think I will try a group on Monday. I have been before and the advice I got was to hold him up so it isn't too fast for him. This has proved useless as I can't hold him up with one hand and hold my boob up with the other. Am so down now about this. He was checked for tongue tie.

My first had reflux and was on adult meds as it was so bad. I know it isn't that as I recognise it well.

He basically fed all night as he missed his day feeds yesterday. HV came today and said that is problem, that he's feeding too much at night. That only started a few days ago because he's so upset during the day that he hasn't been feeding properly. She's told me not to feed him at night and see if that sorts out the problem.

Will try the baby cafe again and see what they say if anything.

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 13:36:39

Please ignore your HV about night feeds. If baby is upset feeding, then starving them wont help at all.

Who checked for tongue tie, it took me many times of going back and forth to get a diagnosis. A BF counsellor thought it looked ok although tied. She was wrong sadly.

Can you feed with baby diagonally, so instead of them being across your tummy, have their bum at a lower level than their head? Or lean back when feeding?

Baby might cry before letdown because they know what's coming.

Dippy001 Fri 05-Oct-12 15:09:39

I tried raising his head by using a feeding pillow, it doesn't make much difference. I also tried with him on top of me as saw that on kellymom but it was a disaster. Have gigantic droppy norks! Really not good for BF. I'm seeing a private consultant tomorrow now. Hopefully I will get some answers, I bloody hope so at £65.

Dippy001 Fri 05-Oct-12 15:10:09

Yes, think HV is wrong as well.

Dippy001 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:30:14

It was bloody tongue tie! So pissed off, had problems for over a month. He had the snip and suddenly no problems feeding at all. However, I was told to feed him every 1-2 hours as it is a posterior tongue tie and he doesn't want the boobie. They said it could re-attach if he doesn't use it as it is posterior, what to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now