Talk

Advanced search

7 months in- now what?!

(14 Posts)
notwoo Thu 04-Oct-12 21:01:41

My ds has somehow reached 7 months- where did that time go?

Originally I was aiming to bf for 6 weeks, then 6 months but here we are at 7 months and I think we have finally reached the point where it is easier than bottle feeding (my dd was bottle fed from 12 weeks as I had such a nightmare feeding her)

Ds is enjoying his solids and now only feeds about 4 times a day and twice at night. All very quick and easy feeds.

He will also happily glug down a bottle of formula if I need to leave him.

So what now. I don't really want to be breastfeeding much past the age of 1 (although have no issues, only respect for those who do) but have no desire to line the pockets of formula companies any more than I have to.

Would it be too harsh on him to swap over to cows milk as soon as he turns one? Should I be gradually introducing more bottles or a beaker (of formula) now?

How many feeds is typical at this age and beyond? (complete boob monsters excepted)?

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 06:33:40

Why not much past 1? you might change your mind! Anyway.

Just keep going as you are, follow his lead. He might have dropped even more feeds by 1. Then at about 11/11.5 months, swap a feed for formula in a beaker. Swap one feed every few days to give your boobs a chance to settle down.

The number of feeds he's having sounds about right but be aare it could go temporarily up if he has a growth spurt or is ill etc etc.

MigGril Fri 05-Oct-12 06:52:01

Our you could wait till 12 months to drop a feed and go straight to cows milk no need for formula.

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 07:35:02

Sorry yes or cows milk. Depends how many feeds hes having I guess.

notwoo Fri 05-Oct-12 08:16:32

Main reason for not feeding him past 1 is that I'm a wimp and worried about what others will say / think blush. I know it's perfectly good and normal but not common in my area or family. I know that's pathetic but I'm already starting to feel a big awkward about feeding him in front of others now that he's not a tiny baby any more.

I would probably continue with a 'secret' night feed if he wanted it.

notwoo Fri 05-Oct-12 08:16:55

Bit awkward, not big!

MuddyRocker Fri 05-Oct-12 08:30:23

7 months is still very much a baby. Please don't let the views of others force you to stop before you and your baby are ready. When he reaches 1 start taking full fat cows milk, in a tommee tippee type cup (the simple ones are best), for when you are out and perhaps continue to feed him yourself for morning and evening/night feeds. That way you can wean him off gradually and not feel awkward when you're out. It's a shame you feel that way, it would also be a shame to buy manufactured dry milk powder when you have a good supply of the natural stuff smile

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 08:46:28

Ah yes the shame of BF an older baby grin (I know how you feel as I bf my ds until he was 2 but only did it at home/night). I'd keep up BF if you enjoy it and it works for you both.

GodisaDJ Fri 05-Oct-12 09:02:08

If it works for you both then just carry on. You will be surprised how much ds will change again between now and 12 months- especially if he is good with his solids now.

My advice would be to carry on doing what you're doing. By the time he's 11 months, reassess and see where he is- like the previous posters suggest, at that point you could drop a feed in the day with formula and eventually switch to cows milk at 12 months.

Feeding older babies (beyond 6 months) isn't the norm for some. But I try and think every time I do feed dd (now 14 months) out in public, I'm helping to 'normalise' if someone sees me.

Well done on reaching 7 months wink

MigGril Fri 05-Oct-12 17:20:39

I felt like you with my first. It made me stop feeding her another but home by the time she was one. but we carried on feeding until she was almost 3 but hardly anyone new.

This time round I've been a bit more, sod everyone else and still feed DS almost 2 anywhere he wants it.

Try not to let others dictate what you do. if it feels right for you and your baby then that's what matters most.

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 05-Oct-12 17:25:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnitaBlake Fri 05-Oct-12 17:30:11

I'm 'still' feeding my nearly two year old. Only in the house these days, unless there's a boob emergency. Its lovely on a morning and evening, really nice start/end to the day. But we only really do it in secret now. You'll be surprised at how easily they still look like babies!

notwoo Fri 05-Oct-12 18:20:23

grin at all the secrecy. Glad I'm not only one.

Ok-will plan to replace daytime feeds with food or beaker at or around 12 months and carry on feeding him before bed and in the morning (and during night I expect) for a while longer.

nomoreminibreaks Fri 05-Oct-12 18:44:23

I was like you but never got round to stopping as it suited us. I can't remember the last time I fed him in public but we gradually reduced feeds (following DS' lead) and ended up at just feeding before naps, bedtime and first thing in the morning, then down to morning and bedtime and now we just feed at bedtime. Because he slept at home in his cot there was no need to feed in public and hardly anyone knows I still BF now (he's 18 months).

For a while I worried that I'd 'turn into one of those women who feed their 8 year old' but decided to take it at our own pace and we'll figure out what to do.

It's a cliche but just do what you feel is right - there's no hurry and you don't have to feed in public/broadcast it if you don't want to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now