Talk

Advanced search

Shooting pains in nipples/breast??

(5 Posts)
helsybells Thu 04-Oct-12 20:11:58

I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride with BF so far. But my baby is now 12 days old and I'm experiencing quite crippling shooting pains in my nipples randomly throughout the day.

I am currently not breastfeeding but expressing several times a day to bottle feed baby with breast milk.

Has anyone else experienced random pains like this and are they anything to worry about? They are quite crippling pains, almost like a sharp ache or even a sort of cramp/electrocution type feeling - quite difficult to explain.

My boobs are doing quite well, not swollen in any way, though I am noticing that when I'm expressing I only seem to produce milk from ducts that are at the base of the nipple. Other ducts are producing little or nothing except perhaps literally one or two drops per session! confused

Yes I had this! I think it's to do with letdown - some women get it when they hear a baby cry! I found (I'm sure I read online somewhere) that if I pressed firmly on the offending nipple for a few seconds it went away. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Congratulations on your baby!

helsybells Thu 04-Oct-12 20:27:33

Thanks NCOTAASD, I have actually found that clutching my boobs/nipples helps with the pain which I've done instinctively. Glad you think it's nothing to worry about that's why I thought I'd post just in case it's the onset of something I'm not aware of!!

Loislane78 Fri 05-Oct-12 08:03:20

Sounds like letdown? Pins and needles/electrocution (nice!) tingling for a few seconds is your letdown IME.

ZuleikaD Fri 05-Oct-12 08:52:57

Yes, I get this with letdown too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now