Talk

Advanced search

Moving from bottles to beakers and type of milk age 1 question

(7 Posts)
StrangeGlue Thu 04-Oct-12 14:26:27

DD is 11 months and FF. Currently she has milk on waking, before nap, mid afternoon and before bed. The three early ones she has 100-210mls and at bedtime 200-300 mls. I also know I should move her from bottles to beakers but at the moment she'll only drink small amounts of water whilst walking around and watering the carpet.

Around 1 do you think I should start dropping some of the milk feeds?

How did you move to a beaker rather than a bottle?

And, cows milk or "growing up milk" formula?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 04-Oct-12 16:38:53

Yes you are right. Once she is one you can reduce her daily milk intake to 300 ml of full fat cows milk per day according to this nhs website.

There is no need for growing up milk, it is expensive and really not needed and in fact there is some evidence that it can be harmful.

When she is one, could you start by giving her breakfast instead of her milk? Something like ready brek made with milk and with fruit stirred in? The two other daytime ones can be replaced with a drink and a snack. If you are bothered about the carpets being watered, sit her down for the snacks or get a no leak beaker.

StrangeGlue Fri 05-Oct-12 11:01:55

Thanks that's helpful. I don't mind the carpet being watered with water I just didn't fancy it being water with milk but yes you're right I can just replace the snack bottles with actual snacks.

I didn't know other diary products count too - good to know!

StrangeGlue Fri 05-Oct-12 11:02:09

* dairy

ZuleikaD Fri 05-Oct-12 12:06:32

All dairy products count, so cheese, yogurt etc. It's actually pretty easy to get calcium into them even if they don't like cow's milk.

StrangeGlue Mon 15-Oct-12 12:00:37

Great, thanks for your advice!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:15:25

Things like salmon and sardines are high in calcium too so it's good to offer those every week or so too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now