Talk

Advanced search

am I being lazy?

(5 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Thu 04-Oct-12 08:12:06

my ten week old DS has thrown us a curve ball in the last week. He would often go to sleep at about 7pm (after being BFed to sleep) and not wake up til about 1am, then 4am then we're all up at 7am. Was great.

In the last week or so he's started waking up 2/3 times, then 3 times, and the last two nights 4/5 times. Each time he wakes its with lots of thrashing and thumping of his arms and legs. Each time he wakes I give him a feed which is quite short even if he feeds hard if you know what I mean, he falls asleep, I hold him upright for a few mins, then put him back in his cot. He seems very happy with this, except that he's awake again a couple of hours later.

Last night he was doing a lot of farting, and his thrashing when he wakes up makes me wonder if he has wind, which is what is waking him up, and not hunger. After each night feed I try to get a burp out of him but he's so fast asleep that no amount of patting on the back is going to get anything from him.

So my question is - am I being lazy in just 'assuming' he's hungry and feeding him back to sleep, rather than trying for work out if its something else waking him up?? Occasionally he's burped when I pick him up, but he's then awake and can smell me and gets all head bobby.

Its so easy to pick him up, feed him, cuddle him, put him in his cot, and get back to my own sleep. But last night I began to wonder if I was taking the easy way out as I can't be bothered to try to get him back to sleep without feeding him, even if he may not have woken up from hunger. If it is wind then feeding him again might be making it worse...?

Having said that, he wouldn't eat if he was hungry right? He might just have a couple of comfort sucks to fall asleep, but he wouldn't have a proper, albeit short, feed would he? And the other thing nagging me - I really really really can't overfeed him can I...? He is EBF.

Am hoping its a phase (10 week growth spurt??) and he'll go back to his twice nightly feeds rather than two hourly ones soon...!

Oh and finally - is it just me or is it a case of the worse the night the cuter the baby in the morning?? Evolution is a clever thing!

mawbroon Thu 04-Oct-12 08:17:53

Not lazy at all! If you want to make it even easier, then you could bring him into bed with you. I mastered the art of feeding in my sleep!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 04-Oct-12 09:06:34

You are not being lazy at all, he wakes, you feed him and everyone gets back to sleep. Now if you were ignoring him, that would be lazy.

It is common for sleep patterns to change but if he is waking more in the night could he be reverse cycling? If he is windy have you had your latch checked recently and has he been checked for tongue tie?

Some things that might also help with the wakings are putting one of DHs tshirts in his cot, so that he gets the smell of him. Don't put one of yours in as it will smell of milk. Swaddling and white noise might also help and have a read of 31 ways to get your baby to sleep and stay asleep.

flipflopson5thavenue Thu 04-Oct-12 17:56:54

JiltedJohnsJulie - I was feeding DS just now and thinking "he hasn't fed much today and doesn't seem as interested in the boob - I wonder if he's feeding more at night..." and then I read your post and thought YES! he's reverse cycling! I used to time each feed in the early weeks as I used to get worried he wasn't feeding for long enough at each feed, and I used to tickle his feet etc to get him to feed longer. I don't do that anymore so I wonder if he's settled into a pattern of shorter feeds during the day and then having to carb load at night to make up for it :-)

Right, the feet tickling starts again tomorrow mister...

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 04-Oct-12 20:37:40

Sounds like he could be reverse cycling then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now