Talk

Advanced search

Product for Sore Nipple Relief?

(16 Posts)
ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 08:51:26

A friend of mine is really struggling with an agonisingly sore, slightly cracked nipple. I read - I think on chat - about a product a couple of MNtters swore by, IIRC it wasn't a cream, more a gizmo/pad/something or other that you apply? Could have been a cream type lotion though. They were hailing it as some kind of miracle product.

At the time I thought I ought to make a note of that, but as my friend wasn't having any problems then, I just forgot about it. Does anyone have any idea what it might have been? It was definitely a branded product, not a home remedy or anything. Might have begun with the letter M? (might not have though!!)

TIA if anyone can shed some light!

MakeTeaNotWar Wed 03-Oct-12 08:53:32

Was it Lasinoh?

MakeTeaNotWar Wed 03-Oct-12 08:54:31

Lansinoh sorry!

littletingoddess Wed 03-Oct-12 08:56:25

There are breast pads that have Lansinoh built-in. Perhaps those are the ones you have in mind?

ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 08:57:12

Hmm could have been? These? Are they rave-about-them good? On this other thread, a couple of MNtters were hailing whatever the product was as a lifesaver and the only thing that allowed them to keep BFing....

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Wed 03-Oct-12 08:57:24

Both lansinoh and kamillosan are meant to be great. I've just started using lansinoh and so far so good.

Hope you're friend is able to get herself back on track & feeling better smile

forgottenpassword Wed 03-Oct-12 08:58:34

I second Lansinoh. Only thing that prevented me from giving up bf!

ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 09:00:48

Sounds like it could be that then. Thanks all. I think I will send her a pack smile

Sossiges Wed 03-Oct-12 09:01:10

IMO Lansinoh is excellent (and Kamillosan is useless and stinks)

ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 09:04:48

I can only see them for sale online from Amazon International and Ebay - Anyone know where else you can get them online (UK)?

ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 09:05:32

sorry that ebay link just did itself - how weird

ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 09:05:46

AARGH! It keeps doing it!!!!

YorkshireRose12 Wed 03-Oct-12 09:10:16

I think you're thinking of Multi Mam nipple compresses - they are moist dressings that you place on the nipple and are available in Boots. I used them and they are very cooling and soothing.

Others recommend Jelonet, also a moist wound dressing and also available in Boots although I haven't tried that myself.

If your friend's crack is a narrow V shaped crack these should help but she needs to make sure her LO is now latching on correctly or the nipple won't heal and the damage will just get worse. When does she have pain? Is it just when latching on, or is there pain throughout the feed? Has she had a feed observed from start to finish by a trained breastfeeding advisor?

If the crack is larger, like an open wound across the surface of the nipple you friend needs to rest the nipple from any pressure or friction against her bra or breast pad. Breast shells are good for this - again, available in Boots.

Finally, your friend can take painkillers - Paracetamol and Ibuprofen - whilst BFing. These will take the edge of the pain and make feeding more comfortable until the nipple is healed.

YorkshireRose12 Wed 03-Oct-12 09:13:50

Just to add, Lansinoh as recommended by everyone else should also be used after feeds to soothe the nipples, but with a crack you might need a little something extra like the dressings I've referred to above to encourage it to heal more quickly.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 03-Oct-12 09:17:07

If it helps, I tried loads of different creams but only thing that worked was breastmilk. Boobs out, squeeze a bit out and let it dry on the nipple. Really healed my cracked bleeding nipples. Very antisocial but a good excuse not to see the inlaws!! wink

ViviPru Wed 03-Oct-12 09:27:23

Thanks for that advice. She had her local breastfeeding advisor visit, right at the start when they were having trouble getting her DD to latch, and that went really well, the woman was brilliant apparently and she's latching on fine now. I don't think she has pain throughout the feed, just general soreness in the region. Her sister is BFing at the moment too and has exactly the same symptoms, in the same breast too!

I will pass all this info on to them. Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now