Talk

Advanced search

Very bad wind in BF baby

(4 Posts)
applecrumple Tue 02-Oct-12 16:51:59

Hi, my DD is 3 weeks old - prem baby & was not actually due until 7 oct. she's developed v bad wind over the las week & is straining a lot in her sleep. Occasionally this straining will make her cry. She's bf & her feeds are anything between 30 mins & 4 hours apart. Producing wet & pooey nappies at each change. She does fart, but judging by hear straining, not enough. I've been trying her on Colief for the last 2 days which doesn't appear to be making much difference & night times are a nightmare as she just barely settles (the only time she will sleep soundly is on my or DH's shoulder). Any advice would be appreciated!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 02-Oct-12 18:03:39

We had lots of wind problems, I think a lot of babies do in the beginning. It takes a surprisingly long time for their little digestive systems to get going. By about 15week ish once they can move around a bit more (seems like ages away I know)

A couple of things that made it worse for us were DS has a cows milk protein intolerance & is intolerant to soya. Things improved a lot once I cut these out of my diet, although it can take four weeks to see results.

The second thing was the latch wasn't great & he was swallowing lots if air. Again once we improved this, it did ease. He still wakes up 6 months in to have a good fart though grin

needsadviceplease Tue 02-Oct-12 20:15:14

Agree with pp that time is the best thing - cold comfort now I know. Cranial osteopathy really helped DS, though I know it's not everyone's thing. Lying him on his back and bicycling his legs was also good for particularly tricksy farts.

Congrats on your new baby!

TeaandHobnobs Tue 02-Oct-12 20:24:22

Hi apple

DS also suffered a lot with trapped wind early on (8 weeks prem). We did use infacol for a while which I think helped, but as others have said, it did improve itself with time.

I know it's horrible to see them in such discomfort. DS has had a bad trapped wind day today for the first time in ages (23 weeks this week), and I'm at a loss as to how to help him - we've already been to baby massage today!

Do give the bicycling a go, or pushing her knees to her chest a few times.

Where you are now is the bit I found hardest to be honest, particularly the lack of settling. It will get better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now