Talk

Advanced search

Mucus and tiny streaks of blood in 9 week old ebf ds.

(8 Posts)
jasmin27 Mon 01-Oct-12 23:23:33

This happened in one nappy last week and now again. Last week like today he was very unsettled all day, not slept for longer than 20 mins at a time been feeding on and off all day and had lots of very explosive poos, more than he usually has. Searching through previous threads it has been suggested it may be due to over supply, he does have most of the symptoms and only ever feeds from one side. Is very windy needs to burp at least 3 times after a feed to relax. When feeding he does fuss a lot the breast also. but he is putting on weight very well, so not sure if this is still the issue. Has anyone else had experience of this? But other than that he is a very happy baby. Should I take him to the gp or just see how it goes?

Unacceptable Mon 01-Oct-12 23:31:36

I'd see how he goes. Had this with my DS and was very worried as I'd never seen it before. We had 2 trips to A+E and my poor boy was kept in and poked and prodded before a Paediatrician came and told me it was a small tear due to explosive poos.
It happened once more after that but he was fine and feeding settled nearer to 12 weeks

Happygirl77 Mon 01-Oct-12 23:49:16

Hi,
No idea generally, but in the case of my dc3, the presence of mucus and blood in his poo always indicates an allergic or intolerant response to something I've eaten (in his case, usually dairy or soy). Mucus can be a sign of an inflames (irritated) gut. Does your dc have reflux?

mawbroon Tue 02-Oct-12 08:53:55

could he be tongue tied? List of symptoms here.

What do you think?

jasmin27 Tue 02-Oct-12 23:58:41

Thanks for the replies. I'm more confused now. Reading symptoms of both reflux and tongue tie he could have both. I think i'm just going to see how it goes. He slept for 6 hours last night and has been better today. I'll just see how things go, unless he starts having any weight issues.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 03-Oct-12 00:11:07

Mucus, wind and explosive poos all sound like oversupply. You can feed off one boob for 2/3 feeds if this is the case before swapping over or express a little before a feed. Is it definately blood? Only I thought the same, panicked, went to a&e to be old it was not blood it was green poo and this is normal blush. Most shades of yellow/green/brown are apparently acceptable. If you're worried, see a doc. That's what they're there for.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 03-Oct-12 00:12:46

I was also convinced Dd had tongue tie and reflux. She had neither. blushblushblush. I am just paranoid. But lack o sleep and hormones does that to you so meh, who cares wink.

mawbroon Wed 03-Oct-12 10:00:09

aiming - there is a good chance that whoever told you there was no tongue tie could be wrong. look here it happens all the time!

Does/did your baby display any of these symptoms?

Any gut problems, allergies, poor sleeping, ear trouble etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now