Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding - how long do the benefits last for?

(5 Posts)
Dancergirl Mon 01-Oct-12 15:03:28

Just curious really. I've got 3 dds, all exclusively bf till 13 months (dd1) and about 21 months (dds 2 and 3). I mean they had solid food as well after 6 months btw, just not cows milk.

They are much older now and generally v healthy children. Very few coughs/colds/infections etc and if they get something it's v mild. Dh is convinced that extended bf has contributed to this.

Is there any research to show how long the benefits last for? Or is it just down to luck or genes?

KatAndKit Mon 01-Oct-12 16:04:12

i think they last for life. no idea about research though.

mawbroon Mon 01-Oct-12 16:21:14

They last forever.

Breast feeding plays a huge part in the structural development of the face, neck and head which requires optimum formation for good general health.

this explains it all

Despite natural term feeding, ds1 has been unable to acheive the structural "benefits" (hesitant to call them benefits because breastfeeding for years is biologically normal) because he has tongue tie which has caused a high palate.

He has suffered from endless rounds of illness because of it and now needs a brace to expand his palate and headgear at night to help guide the facial formation in the right direction.

Your dh is absolutely right!

GoblinGold Mon 01-Oct-12 18:24:30

There are also long term benefits with regards to development (or prevention) of late onset diabetes for both mother and child. My consultant told me that the pancreas of people who have had natural term feeding develop differently to those not breastfed and so are less likely to end up with Type 2. I wish I had a reference...

It's nice to know that (probably) long after I'm gone I might have done something to make DCs lives a little easier.

GoblinGold Mon 01-Oct-12 18:30:41

You've got to love google

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now