Talk

Advanced search

12 weeks and bfing every 2 hours - normal?

(17 Posts)
monkeypuzzeltree Mon 01-Oct-12 14:52:27

Have just spent the weekend with my in laws, everyone from mil to fil spent most if the time saying "you feeding him again already" or when he cries, "he's still hungry" It took a lot of patience to not say anything rude like - "he's not flipping hungry, I've just finished feeding and he just likes being held, get over it!!!"
He is a needy baby, only wants to be held ideally and takes a whole to be convinced to go in his chair. I feed him every 2 hours from start to next feed although he goes 6 in the night.

It's taken a while to get my confidence in feeding him, nightmare to start with but was thinking we were getting the hang of it, yes it's hard but it's my job!

Sound out of ordinary to you?!

And breath!!!

ZuleikaD Mon 01-Oct-12 15:22:42

He sounds perfectly normal - every 2 hours is great and if you're getting six hours at night then that's really great.

Ignore your PILs - it's a different generation. They're out of date and they don't really remember what it's like anyway!

catkind Mon 01-Oct-12 15:25:30

Quite normal. As pp says, there used to be some pretty strange advice about feeding every 3/4 hours. Not surprisingly, many people found "they didn't have enough milk" or "baby was too hungry" and ended up on formula.

Raspberryandorangesorbet Mon 01-Oct-12 15:45:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noblegiraffe Mon 01-Oct-12 15:53:34

Normal. My DS fed every two hours including at night at that age. envy

monkeypuzzeltree Mon 01-Oct-12 16:10:21

Sleeping thru the night is another rant entirely, apparently just about every child they knew was sleeping by now - prob because he's not getting enough food during the day??!! I did lots of nodding and smiling!! grin

nickeldaisical Mon 01-Oct-12 16:13:45

he might still be hungry after you've fed him.

DD was bloody constantly hungry when she was tiny. grin
But that's normal
totally normal.

your replies "so would you be if you'd got a tummy the size of a walnut"
and "yes, I am feeding him again, thank you very much"
and "and it's your business because....?"

DD still wants to feed every two hours and she's 9 months old!
(I can fob her off with cream crackers and water nowadays, though wink )
(oh, god, that's not all I feed her!)

they feed as often as they need to - it's not a game, they are just hungry or thirsty.

nickeldaisical Mon 01-Oct-12 16:14:55

i'm also envy of your 6 hours at night.

monkeypuzzeltree Mon 01-Oct-12 16:30:02

I was half expecting mil to offer him some porridge!! To be honest he gets so excite if I eat it's already feeling mean not to share! Shame they aren't born with teeth!

I was most annoyed because I've been on here lots with my supply issues, I've worked harder than ever to get to this point! I'm pretty sure they just think im making life hard for myself - some sort of martyrdom to bfing.

Hey ho, not going there for a while!

MissTapestry Mon 01-Oct-12 17:15:30

13 wo here, she feeds more frequently than 2 hours although I couldn't tell you how often as if I thought about it I'd probably tear my hair out and I'm lucky if I get a 3-4 hour stretch at the beginning of the night!

showtunesgirl Mon 01-Oct-12 18:17:54

Perhaps you might like to inform them that the medical definition of "sleeping through" is over five hours which is what your DS is doing. grin

I have a 10 month old and I am envy too.

nickeldaisical Tue 02-Oct-12 10:31:16

monkey - DD always got excited when I ate, too. It meant she knew she was going to get some yummy milk grin

also, DH has usually made dinner by the time I sit down to feed DD, so she's always associated my dinner with hers!

OstrichSized Tue 02-Oct-12 11:02:45

I lied about the sleeping through the night to keep the advice givers a break.

My 8 month old still gets fed nearly every two hours and last night I don't think I even got a full two hours of sleep.

Lying helped me a lot!

SarryB Tue 02-Oct-12 11:44:58

Hah! My 5 month old still feeds every 2 hours throughout the day, even though he's started solids AND gets formula in the evening.

He wakes anywhere from 1-5 times a night.

If any one judges/asks/gives advice then I just say "it's normal for his age, most babies don't sleep a full 12 hours until over a year old, and I'm happy with it."

nickeldaisical Tue 02-Oct-12 12:03:15

DD doesn't sleep through either.
But we sleep together, so she just latches on when she needs to and eats throughout the night

monkeypuzzeltree Tue 02-Oct-12 12:09:23

Nickle I am so envy that you can feed in bed. Every time I try I end up with sore nipples, latch is rubbish lying down!!

nickeldaisical Tue 02-Oct-12 12:32:34

it takes practice! grin

we don't always get it right, and it takes a while before she latches on properly.
but it's worth keep trying because that extra sleep while she's feeding is amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now