Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding help

(8 Posts)
Bubblebell1 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:14:32

I had my dd on Saturday and I have let her feed on demand since birth. Now I have empty boobs and a baby that is very unhappy. I'm letting her feed in the hope that something will happen soon but I'm getting desperate.
What do I do? Should I be letting her feed for hours. She is getting so frustrated sucking when nothing is coming out.

Tryingtobenice Sun 30-Sep-12 18:21:31

It will come, your milk. It will amaze you when it does! Yes, let her keep feeding, it will stimulate it. If you can takeher to bed for lots ofskin to skin snuggling, that might help. It might be tomorrow when it comes in, she will be fine.

Congratulation!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 30-Sep-12 20:49:54

Congratulations on your daughter!! A brand new one, how lovely.

Yes keep latching her on as much as possible. They are getting tiny amount of colostrum even though it doesn't feel it. They don't need much in the first few days as their tummies are tiny, about the size of a small marble.

My milk came in on three & you will know when it does! I was an emotional wreck. The more you put her to the breast, the quicker you will get your supply established as it works on supply and demand. The more she demands, the more you will make smile

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 01-Oct-12 12:29:12

How you getting on Bubble?

ZuleikaD Mon 01-Oct-12 12:32:13

Also, breasts may feel 'empty' but they never are! Colostrum and milk are produced in response to sucking, so your DD is doing exactly the right thing.

Bubblebell1 Mon 01-Oct-12 19:24:08

Thanks girls!
I've continued with letting her feed. She Wasn't getting much. I've noticed my boobs getting hard and a lot more colostrum had come out.
Hoping my milk comes soon. I'm biting through all my wooden kitchen utensils while she latches on.

dippyeggs Mon 01-Oct-12 19:27:43

Bless you I remember this so well! So exciting (I know it doesn't feel it sometimes) anyway, yes I bet you'll wake up in the middle of the night in a puddle of milk and she won't know what to do with herself! I got really sore nipples with both mine and succumbed to nipple shields to get through it - not ideal I know, but I managed to retrain them both once I wasn't so sore and it got me through that stage...... Best of luck and huge congrats smile

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 01-Oct-12 20:28:23

Yes v exiting! gosh that initial pain does go. It took about 10 days to get more bearable. i took painkillers for the first four weeks to get me through. Now at 6 months I have to physically check he's latched on as I can't always feel it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now