Talk

Advanced search

Mixed feeding, bit stuck

(10 Posts)
sliceofcake Sun 30-Sep-12 14:57:39

DD is 9 months now, and I am back to work soon. As we have a 6 year old too I've found it more tiring this time round, but have ebf her with no problems. I spent a few months expressing successfully but I can't seem to get any milk out now so am considering adding a ff bottle at bedtime, so that DH can help with putting her to bed whilst I am sorting homework, dinner, getting home etc. She is still waking 2/3 times a night so that adds to the tiredness and I want to avoid being the walking dead when I return to work like last time. I ebf DS til he was 2, so really feel I'm letting DD down. Any ideas how best to approach this?

justabigdisco Sun 30-Sep-12 14:58:53

No advice sorry but marking my place - I've suddenly stopped being able to express too!

sliceofcake Mon 01-Oct-12 12:32:17

Wanted to add that I'm unsure how much milk sheis getting at the moment, as she is up in the night but if I stop this, will she have enough with a morning feed and a night time or bottle? Hope for some good advice as HV not being that helpful.

SarryB Mon 01-Oct-12 12:43:08

Can DH not do homework/dinner while you feed??

ZuleikaD Mon 01-Oct-12 12:49:07

At 9 months solids will be starting to take over a bit, so your supply may well be lower and that could be why you're having trouble expressing now. I agree with Sarry - could your DH not deal with homework and supper so you can do the bedtime feed? If you want to carry on bf-ing then it would be nice if he could support you a bit.

sliceofcake Mon 01-Oct-12 16:18:26

Gosh, I've not been very clear, DH s very supportive, but I want to be able to see to DS occasionally myself, and f there is a late night at work I need to know she can be fed by someone other than me. Read my post back and looks like he does nothing, that's not the case... :-)

SarryB Tue 02-Oct-12 11:37:57

Ok, sorry for getting all judgy-pants! Forgot that you have another wee one that needs some mummy love too.

You're not letting your baby down at all - just because you were lucky enough to ebf your 1st one for a long time, doesn't make you a bad parent for not being able to do it with your 2nd!

I would just go right ahead and get dad to give her a bottle of formula. Start with the small cartons so you can see which one she likes best. You've managed to EBF her for this long, and you can always BF when you do have the chance, your supply should adjust.

sliceofcake Wed 03-Oct-12 17:07:41

Thanks SarryB, just feel like I should bf her for the same amount of time, daft I know! I will try some formula and see how t goes. Do you think the odd bottle won't stop my supply and how much formula does a 10 month need, I've no idea about ff...

SarryB Wed 03-Oct-12 21:51:10

It will say on the packet how much she needs - just make up a full feed for her weight/age and see how much she takes.

I'm not the expert on supply, but I think it should adjust - will you still be feeding her at night/in morning on the days where you can't feed her in the evening?

sliceofcake Wed 03-Oct-12 22:14:38

Yes, I just want to have ff as a back up really. Should be ok shouldn't it? I sometimes still feed in the day as well so would still do that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now