Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding and antibiotics.

(8 Posts)
LAF77 Sun 30-Sep-12 11:00:32

DS has an ear infection. Poor little man. I've been given antibiotics for him to take. Is this going to wipe out all of the good I've done for 6 months EBF?

RightBuggerforGOLD Sun 30-Sep-12 16:02:07

No, of course not! One course of medication for a specific infection is not going to damage his immune system.

LAF77 Sun 30-Sep-12 16:52:48

Thanks, I guess I'm sleep deprived and figured it would kill off all the bacteria in his body. I thought bf babies were unlikely to get ear infections. Oh well.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 30-Sep-12 17:20:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LAF77 Mon 01-Oct-12 15:38:53

Thanks I will do that!

tiktok Mon 01-Oct-12 15:43:41

Bf babies do get ear infections - the research shows they get fewer than ff babies.

Gold is right - antibiotics don't do anything to the immune system or otherwise effect the impact of breastfeeding.

LAF77 Sat 06-Oct-12 14:15:11

Interestingly enough, this happened after I have introduced solids. He doesn't take much at all, as i am BLW, but I suppose his immune system was strongest when he was EBF.

bonzo77 Sat 06-Oct-12 14:31:32

DS was 100% bottle fed from day 2. He is now 2.6. Never had antibiotics. Sorry, not that helpful or even relevant to the op.

The ABs are relatively specific to pathogenic organisms, though not entirely. I suspect that you BFing him through an after the course of ABs will be a good way of re-establishing his normal ecology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now