Talk

Advanced search

how much does your two year old drink at bedtime?

(20 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Sat 29-Sep-12 20:07:36

I am trying to desk my very nearly 2 year old dts from their bedtime bf by substituting a cup of cow's milk. Tonight they had 100ml each and were still asking for more. I hadn't expected them to drink anything like that. How much does your 2 year old drink at bedtime?

MamaChocoholic Sat 29-Sep-12 20:15:16

desk? wean!

RedKites Sat 29-Sep-12 21:17:26

When my DS first stopped having a bedtime bf (or as much milk at it - was/am pg) he would have lots of cow's milk when offered. However, it seems like the novelty wore off, as a few months later he's having much less, and sometimes none at all.

VerityClinch Sat 29-Sep-12 21:18:38

My 22 month old has 100ml at teatime and then about 260ml at bedtime. He is a milk fiend!

sleeplessinderbyshire Sat 29-Sep-12 21:18:57

my 3 yr old still has a full cup of cow's milk with her bedtime story (probably 200-250ml)

mejon Sat 29-Sep-12 21:19:20

20m DD2 has 8oz of cow's milk before bed (and 5 or 6 first thing in the morning - no other milk during the day).

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 02:41:50

Wow, it seems like I underestimated how much they might want then! Will offer more tomorrow, thanks.

notcitrus Sun 30-Sep-12 05:19:14

However much you get in a tommy tippee cup - 250ml? At least one of those, sometimes more.

ValiumQueen Sun 30-Sep-12 05:24:17

My girls would not have milk when they had self weaned. I give them dairy in the day to compensate. I would say let them have what they want, but cut back if they start refusing food.

mathanxiety Sun 30-Sep-12 05:34:44

I think you should try to separate going to bed from having the drink of milk. Bring the drink forward until eventually it will be before they brush teeth. You may want to limit drinks right before bed when they potty train and it might be a good idea to have the bedtime drink out of their routine by then.

rumbelina Sun 30-Sep-12 07:18:36

Half a pint of cows milk. Good point, mathanxiety.

BobbysBeardOfWonder Sun 30-Sep-12 07:22:41

I've never given my 2yo cow's milk to drink confused is that abnormal?!

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 17:27:42

good point mathanxiety, but at the moment I want to substitute for a bf. once I've dropped that feed (which is before stories, but after bathroom), then I should aim to rearrange the routine, you're right.

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 17:28:02

Bobbys, what does s/he drink?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 30-Sep-12 17:31:06

DD almost 3 has a beaker of cows milk, wee, teeth, bed.

BobbysBeardOfWonder Sun 30-Sep-12 19:26:16

Mama she drinks water. Bf morning & bedtime.

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 20:05:30

Ah, sorry, assumed you were no longer bf blush. Mine have "cup milk" with meals, water between, and now cup milk at bedtime, still 2-3 bf a day, but I am trying to wean slowly, hence increasing the cow's milk.

mathanxiety Sun 30-Sep-12 20:39:13

BobbysBeard, I never did either. They all got hives when I tried them with cow's milk. I did extended bfeeding. When they weaned they went to soy milk or rice milk but not right before bed. I tried to confine milk drinking to mealtime. A small drink of water if they seemed genuinely thirsty before bed was all they got. Basically they drank water if thirsty during the day, and had some vitamin and mineral enriched soy milk or rice milk (they preferred the rice milk) with breakfast and dinner.

SunsetsandSeagulls Mon 01-Oct-12 22:21:54

DD is nearly 2. She went from being fed to sleep to nothing. She now has cuddles, books and bed and it works well. I also am hoping that the lack of bedtime drink will help with toilet training. She does not miss it.

SunsetsandSeagulls Mon 01-Oct-12 22:22:39

*fed to sleep as in breastfed. Sorry, should have clarified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now