Talk

Advanced search

How long is ok for to go without a feed overnight h

(17 Posts)
flapjackaddict Sat 29-Sep-12 06:32:04

Hi. I have an 11 week old & exc bf. The past two nights he's gone 11-12 hours without a feed. He does wake up though at 2am (used to be when I fed him) but doesn't cry and is v fidgety sometimes a little gassy. I find the dummy soothes him and he falls asleep again. He then woke up a few time after that (I think 3 times) for his dummy but he fell asleep v quickly after that. At 6am he was fidgeting with his dummy so I then decided to feed him as it had been 12 hours since I fed him last.

Is this ok? 12 hours seems too long to me. He didn't feed exceptionally well during the day either. I will be taking him to be weighed next week to see if he's putting weight on as essentially he's dropped his midnight and 2/3am feed just like that??

Bit worried in not feeding him enough or something could be wrong. He does vomit a lot after a feed not projectile though.

Thanks in advance for any advice / sharing of experiences.

AmethystMoon Sat 29-Sep-12 06:34:49

Why didn't you feed him when he woke at 3?

AmethystMoon Sat 29-Sep-12 06:35:06

Oops sorry at 2?

smornintime Sat 29-Sep-12 06:42:13

I have a breast fed 11wk old as well :0)
The longest she has gone between feeds is about 6-7 hours and she's only done that once or twice. 12 hours does seem like a long stretch at this point but I'm no expert...if he's awake at 2 and you're worried, I think I would just feed him anyway and see if he takes anything.
It may be that he wants comfort to begin with but then if he's still fidgeting and waking up then maybe a feed would settle him more.

MigGril Sat 29-Sep-12 06:44:21

is he still having lots of wet nappies? when you say he doesn't feed well during the day how many feeds odd he having?

why don't you just feed him at 2 am. especially if he's then washing several times after this. if you feed him he may not wake again.

Some babies do sleep through at this age, but I'd be more worried about him not feeding well in the day.

Fairylea Sat 29-Sep-12 06:46:48

How do you know he is waking for his dummy and not a feed ? Especially as replacing the dummy isn't resulting in a long period of sleep afterwards I'd still feed at 2am.

My ds is 15 weeks and is waking 2 times for feeding and then is up ready to begin the day at 6am. I'm bloody shattered.. and he is formula fed.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sat 29-Sep-12 06:49:23

My DD suddenly slept through at 6 weeks 10-6. She is ebf and had 1/2 feeds per night. This sent me into mild panicgrin. She's now 18 weeks, sleeps 9-8 and is definately growing! She does eat well in the day although she vomits a lot. All babies are different and I always go by 'do I feel comfortable about this?' if I think she's fine, fine. If not, ask someone and don't feel stupid. It's the welfare of your baby so it's never stupid. HTH.

cheekydino Sat 29-Sep-12 06:52:07

Both of mine started going for 12 hours at about 10 or 11 weeks at night - was the beginning of permanent sleeping through except for the odd teething/digestion issues later on. Follow your instincts - if he went back to sleep without a feed easily then it is unlikely he wanted one! Enjoy the extra sleep while it lasts.

Fairylea Sat 29-Sep-12 07:04:53

But if the baby is waking at 2 and not settling back to a long sleep with a dummy (still waking at 3 afterwards and fidgeting) how would the op know they didn't want feeding ? I'm confused as my ds doesn't wake up crying either just cooing and chatting but I always feed ... maybe I'm doing the wrong thing ?

flapjackaddict Sat 29-Sep-12 07:42:41

Thanks for advice. The reason I didn't feed at 2am was because he wasn't crying. Maybe that is a v stupid assumption to make (god I feel so guilty now). I could have tried to feed him you're right and see if he takes the breast. If it happens tonight I'll do that. I just didn't know if he was waking up out if habit and if a dummy soothed him and he wasn't crying I thought he can't be hungry.

During the day he feeds every 3.5 hours he just hasn't fed for a long time that's all. Maybe he's becoming more efficient at feeding but I don't know if that is the reason.

Do you think a dummy can make him not hungry or take it away?

X

forevergreek Sat 29-Sep-12 07:52:36

You could always try feeding before you go to bed, so say 10-11pm, then he may go through until morning but not so many hours (11p-7am, only 8 hours)

needsadviceplease Sat 29-Sep-12 13:33:03

Babies don't cry as soon as they get hungry - crying is a late hunger cue. No idea re 12 hours being too long (or not) - its a million miles from my own experience!

PinkPepper Sat 29-Sep-12 13:58:08

My ds is 12 weeks and slept through for the past few weeks - he didn't unsettle at all though.
This last week we are having to wake him up and feed 2 hourly in day to try and get him to put weight on and I'm really worried as he's not. So I say feed him when you can! But if he's growing lots then maybe it's not such an issue.

poppy283 Sat 29-Sep-12 18:50:22

Dd started sleeping through the day she found her thumb at 10 weeks, so I think sometimes they are waking for comfort rather than food.

flapjackaddict Mon 01-Oct-12 03:50:54

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. It's still freaking me out him sleeping such long periods especially as last 2 nights he has not stirred until about 3/4am (10 hours). Tomorrow morning calling HV to see what she thinks. But am feeding him now after 10 hours which is at 3/4am and he's feeding well so he is hungry. Babies .... :-) wish they could talk. X

mnistooaddictive Mon 01-Oct-12 07:02:43

Dd1 slept through from 11 weeks. From 5 weeks I was waking her in the night to feed as I was worried. Hv told me not to and to let her sleep. She was never a massive feeder but that was just her way.

EugenesAxe Mon 01-Oct-12 07:16:59

I had that at about 6 weeks old with my DD - we were at the doc with her for a chest infection and I mentioned my concern. She said it wasn't a problem and that lucky us, we had a baby who could sleep through almost immediately. She said they exist.

That said, dummies are accused of suppressing urges to feed - don't stop using one if it helps your baby, but perhaps try to feed first before popping it back in when/if he wakes at 2am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now