Talk

Advanced search

Frequency of feeds for newborn

(7 Posts)
Chickchickola Sat 29-Sep-12 05:54:33

Just wondering how often you should feed a newborn?

I read that as a guideline you should never let a newborn go more than 3 hours between feeds (mine is 2 weeks) and I feel like a horrible mother as my LO has just gone 6 hours between feeds.

During the day I feed her about every three to three and a half hours (when she demands it, or I wake her to offer it). At night I had been letting her go four hours between feeds.

Last night we were exhausted, between 9 - 11.30 she fed on and off for 70 minutes, and then screamed until 1.30pm as she just wouldn't settle. We were exhausted and neither of us woke until 5.30am. She was whimpering away but not crying which is why we didn't wake earlier. I feel awful though that she went so long between feeds, is this normal? Normally she would have fed at about 2am and 4.30am as well.

nooka Sat 29-Sep-12 06:07:03

I think the general rule is that you should feed them whenever they want unless there is a problem of some sort. My first baby fed every four hours from birth (I timed him in the hospital because I was very bored). My second it felt like I fed her all the time! I am absolutely no expert, but I really wouldn't worry too much.

lindsell Sat 29-Sep-12 06:29:32

Not an expert - just up bfing ds2. IMO (unless there's a medical issue ) after the first week or so I haven't woken either ds to feed - they soon let you know if they're hungry - I've always fed on demand and both of them liked to cluster feed in the evening and then from a few weeks old started dr. Sounds like she was cluster feeding which does help them to sleep longer ime. I remember the first night ds1 slept through what had been a normal feeding time and I was really panicked and kept checking he was breathing blush. As long as she's feeding well as plenty of wet/dry nappies, gaining weight etc then feeding on demand is what is recommended.

lindsell Sat 29-Sep-12 06:29:55

Sorry for random bit in middle of

lindsell Sat 29-Sep-12 06:32:22

Stupid phone! In middle of my post I was trying to explain both of mine started dropping feeds in the night from a few weeks but fed v frequently in the day so after the first few nights of worry with ds1 I soon learnt to take advantage of a few hours sleep when I could grin

MigGril Sat 29-Sep-12 06:48:07

If they are gaining weight well, then normally it's fine just to feed them when they ask and not wake them. As long as there are no other concerns.

KatAndKit Sat 29-Sep-12 09:59:50

let sleeping babies lie! (as long as there are no concerns about feeding and weight gain) Just feed her when she is hungry and enjoy the sleep when you can. The advantage of cluster feeding in the evening is that it tanks them up for the night ahead. If she needed a feed she would have let you know about it for sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now